1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOP Debate, sj.com Condensed Version

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, May 16, 2007.

1. Since we didn't have a thread, thought I'd start one.

http://alicublog.blogspot.com/2007_05_13_archive.html#2137857384384361737

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

That was probably the most coherent analysis and rundown of last night's debate.

3. Jones

Jones Active Member

I really didn't get Romney's "so blue, it's black" comment about Mass. It sounded bad to me. (And it sounded awfully silent in the room.)

McCain should tell his jokes once, twice tops. But he still proved he has some fight in him, quite effectively hacking out Romney's knees.

I liked Huckabee's dig at Edwards, because that guy is a total foof creep.

Giuliani doesn't stand a chance.

4. You're wrong about Edwards.
    The son. The wife. The guy shows more steel just getting out of bed in the morning than a smug, greasy little Rotarian twerp like "Mike" Huckabee has exhibited in his entire public career,

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I admit I had more than the minimum daily requirement of beer (hey, it's needed for a GOP debate), but I was pleasantly surprised at the questioning by the Fox people. I thought there'd be a lot more softballs.

6. Yeah, but Brit Hume should audition for the 24 writing staf on his own time.

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

That's just it, FB. I don't get how someone who has been through so much comes off as such a shallow prig.

Coming off a botched story on him, so that might be affecting my judgment. But from what I saw, Elizabeth is the genuine article. He's a foof, and he's definitely surrounded himself by foof people.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Props to Fox for better questions and follows- esp. Wendell Goler. This guy should replace Russert. I'm still stunned Ron Paul got slammed for his accurate recitation of what led to anti-US sentiment in the Middle East. Rudy was smart to try and turn it into "blaming the US for 9/11" but since he said he never heard that explanation before, it makes me wonder where he has been.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Wendell Goler is the real deal. Good at what he does, and the one time I met him (parents of a girl I dated in college are/were really close with him and his wife) he was really cool. At the time I had never heard of him, but he knew some of the people I had started working for and was just an easy guy to talk with.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The play-acting there's a terrorist attack was a bit of a stretch. As one of them said (paraphrasing), why are we doing this when we've got a real clusterfuck going on in Iraq we can talk about.

Also, I wish they hadn't cut off the comments in response to Paul's 9/11 comments. Fuck the rest of the format, we've got candidates willing to engage in a real debate? Cool.

They should have allowed each candidate who wanted to speak to that to do so for 30 seconds, but in between each comment give Paul 30 seconds to respond. He said something that woke them off their asses, he deserves time to respond to each and every one of the other 9 who were poised to attack. He could have proved he's worthy of sharing the stage with the big boys, or maybe he would have fallen on his face. Alas, we'll never know.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It all adds up now. No Americans watch these debates. I guess they put them on for Canada.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Was Romney referring to the Chicago Bear uniforms?

Draft saved Draft deleted