1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOP 2012 primaries thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Re: Huckabee won't run

The Republicans never -- ever -- nominate a young up-and-comer who "comes out of nowhere."

It's almost some seasoned party veteran who's been hanging around forever, and it seems to be "his turn." See Dole, McCain, Reagan, Nixon-68.

The nearest things they've had to "young up-and-comers" in the last 60 years were Nixon-60 and GWB, and they were both "legacies" -- they were anything but fresh faces bursting on the scene out of nowhere.

Goldwater was kind of a surprise choice, but he was also a sacrificial lamb/designated scapegoat sent up by the moderate/"Rockefeller Republicans" to take a shellacking from LBJ and hopefully shut the Birchers up for a decade or so. Now, the Birchers are running the show and there is no such animal as a "moderate Republican."

2. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

We'll also have to see what the unemployment rate come next November. I heard a stat on Meet the Press this morning that when the unemployment rate is above 7.4%, Presidents/incumbent parties usually don't get re-elected. The unemployment rate is falling, but slowly. Getting it down to 7.4% by November 2012 will be difficult.

If gas prices and the unemployment rate fall far enough, I agree that Obama will win re-election easily. But it is more likely to be like Clinton's re-election victory in 1996 than Reagan's re-election victory. There are a lot of states, especially in the South, Great Plains and Rocky Mountains, that would never vote for a Democrat, let alone a Northeast/Chicago Democrat like Obama. Given the country's political makeup, it's going to be very hard for Obama - or any Democrat - to top Obama's '08 showing unless the Republican candidate has a truly horrific scandal. Even in the best scenario, Obama might be able to win Arizona, Missouri and Montana and his '08 states. That would put him at 382 electoral votes - a convincing win, but far short of Reagan's '84 landslide or even LBJ's '64 landslide.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Given current slate of GOP candidates Obama will win by a landslide. I plan to vote for him and I've never voted democrat in presidential election.

4. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Suburbia is worried Obama tops out at 382 EVs.

I love this place.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agree completely.

6. printdust

printdust New Member

Huckabee's a smart guy. Why spend a billion to compete with the foreign special interests in the Middle East who masqueraded this "grass roots" effort of a candidacy Obama plans to run, again? The minorities who thought he was going to help them can give maybe pennies. How many of the 20-30 percent combined underemployed/unemployed are giving to Obama? No way. It's all coming from people with an agenda that doesn't give a shit about America, and all it can do until he's ineligible for office is break the bank of a challenger. Let Mitt Dentyne take it, take his November beating, and let's get on to 2016, lest the system is beyond fucked at that point.

7. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

What makes you think I'm "worried" about that?

A win is a win. Hell, Bush II won re-election by 100K votes in Ohio in 2004 and claimed he had a mandate. And FWIW, I think we're screwed no matter who wins. I'm not crazy with Obama, but the current crop of GOP candidates aren't the answer either.

I was just refuting the notion that Obama or any Democrat could repeat Reagan's landslide. They just can't.

8. Boom_70

Period from 2012 to 2016 will require a lot of major presidential decisions. Obama is one of the few with the balls to make them.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

And part of that fucked up system is being dually worked by the GOP Congress....which ironically got elected at the time the speculators began taking a crap on the middle class economy, again.

10. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Do you produce a pamphlet I can subscribe to, by any chance?

11. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Let the GOP run Palin and we'll find out, won't we?

12. Boom_70

Republicans realize that they can better shape the country by controlling Congress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.