1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOP 2012 primaries thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Re: Huckabee won't run

Chris Kristie strikes the right tone for the Republicans but he is smart enough not to challenge Obama in 2012.

Cuomo could be on the horizon in 2016 for the Democrats, if he continues to have success in NYS.

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

If he were running, he wouldn't have gained his weight back. America will never again elect a fat person President. That I'm convinced of. You can be a liar, neurotic, a filanderer, a warmongerer, an alcoholic, an ex coke user or any race or gender, but America will not elect a fat person.

3. Re: Huckabee won't run

No, I mean a better chance to win the presidency. Obama is VERY vulnerable. That 60% approval rating is a smokescreen caused by his killing of Bin Laden. It was the same for George H. W. Bush in 1991. His approval ratings were so high after Kuwait everyone thought he was unbeatable. What happened? The domestic problems surfaced and Bush went down to an easy defeat.

So I mean a better chance to kick the ass of the incumbent with a 60% approval rating that is going to disappear before the election. This is an audition for the role of Bill Clinton. If Huckabee doesn't want to run now, it's a clear sign that he likes his life too much right now and isn't that interested in being president.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Obama is vulnerable if the GOP finds a candidate.

He's not vulnerable if the GOP can't find someone better than the current crop, and Huckabee wasn't even the class of those bozos. He had no shot whatsoever.

It's 2004 all over again, just with a party switch. A beatable incumbent with a terribly weak field lining up to take a shot at him.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I think this is a money issue. Obama has been very good to corporate interests and since it appears as if there are no real threats against Obama in the coming election (so far), the money will flow the incumbent's way. Those corporate interests who are unwilling to support Obama because of ideological differences are going to sit on the sidelines rather than piss money away for a lost cause.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Huck could not afford to run. Too bad because I was looking forward to seeing him get Willie Hortoned by a fellow republican.

7. Boom_70

I look for Obama to try and get Wall Street back in the fold.

8. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Huckabee finished second last time, lets not forget. And he was the GOP's only prospective candidate without his approval ratings upside down.

If Teh Huck thought the nomination was worth having, he'd have run. As it is, he's waiting until 2016. It's Mittens or a crazy person.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Damn, I was really looking forward to the National Academy of Sciences debate featuring Huck, Palin and Bachmann.

10. Boom_70

National political media has vested interest in a successful Republican candidate. Bad for business otherwise.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Figure it will come down to Mitt vs. Someone Else. Big hole in the social conservative/Deep South section of the party. Considering the weight Iowa and South Carolina carry for the GOP nomination and it seems wide open.
    The odd thing is, this might be a good year for the GOP to wrap things up early, but they changed their rules to ensure a longer primary race and avoid what happened last time when the Dems received all the attention after March and McCain kind of wandered around looking for something to do.

12. Crash

Crash Active Member

Wanna bet? Citizens United means this will be a money issue, no matter which way Wall Street and ordinary "special interests" go. Combine that with the fact that the AFL, SEIU and many of the unions are going to be more focused on state level campaigns. Obama is going to raise more money than any GOP candidate possibly could -- probably in excess of a billion dollars. And, unless things go his way dramatically between now and then -- I'm talking <8 percent unemployment, a completely horrendous opponent, and a great economic outlook -- he's still going to get outspent.

If it was a fundraising issue for Huckabee, it was a primary fundraising issue. The GOP will have no problem keeping up with Obama's money in the general.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.