1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOP 2012 primaries thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Re: Huckabee won't run

Mike Huckabee let a man, who then went on to kill four police officers, out of prison.

The fact that didn't kill his political career is mindboggling.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Michael Dukakis, meet Willie Horton. Goes both ways.

As much as I suspected this would happen, I'm still disappointed. Huckabee supports a "fair tax" option that I think would be the answer for stimulating future economic development. With him sitting on the sidelines, I have a feeling we'll lose that option.

3. Re: Huckabee won't run

So much for that dream. President Huckabee was sounding good to me, but I knew deep down he wasn't going to run. I guess he just doesn't want to be president anymore, since I don't think he'll ever have a better chance.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Sounds like hell to me, but different strokes, etc.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I assume by better chance, you mean better chance to get his ass kicked by an incumbent with a 60% approval rating.

Huckabee's realized what every other legitimate GOP candidate (if that's not an oxymoron) save Mittens will realize: This is an audition for the role of Bob Dole.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think the "grownup" Republicans may sit this one out, let the cuckoo birds take the fall next year, then run in the wide-open 2016 field.

The Dems are grooming nobody.

Hucky will be 61 in '16, a veritable toddler by GOP standards. Mitt will be 69, prime age.

They could run a Mitt-Huck ticket in 2016 and after 8 years, Huck would be ready to go in 2024.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Aw, I sort of liked Huckabee. There are a lot of nuttier types out there. But any word on Mitt Romney?

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Huck would accept a draft, but only if he didn't have to do any campaign-contribution begging. And that's not the way it works.

He'll still look to screw Mitt any way he can.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In the current group of Republican candidates not one of them has any shot.

At it stands 2012 is a lost cause. It's going to be hard for candidates to raise a lot of money.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Would be interesting to see if Sarah Palin could fundraise. She supposedly has a huge following. They are certainly energetic and vocal. My hypothesis is that it wouldn't translate to dollars, though, because, ultimately, the establishment people with real money see her as a sideshow fringe candidate.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Palin could be a straw man candidate for 2012, just to keep the embers burning for 2016.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

More than any other candidate, however, her clock is ticking. Unfortunately, one of her biggest assets is her looks. She's like 1994 Liz Phair for righties. A hot chick who makes them feel cool. I don't think that's completely sexist, either, because I think the same was probably true of W. to an extent.

I thought Mitch Daniel was the guy, but seems like there is quite a backlash developing over his social issues "truce."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.