1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goose Gossage's favorite letter: F

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Ryan Braun is a f---ing steroid user. He gets a standing ovation on Opening Day in Milwaukee."

Oh, shit. Now he's gonna hear from oop.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Didn't Gossage go off on Ray Kroc when he was playing in San Diego and say something like McDonald's food was "poisoning the world"? Might have been on to something there.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes, except it was Joan Kroc (Ray was already dead). Also called his GM "gutless and spineless."

Gossage Apologizes to All, So He Rejoins Padres

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Then there's Bryce Harper's perspective ...

Why Bryce Harper says he's the best, and why he's right

"Baseball's tired," he says. "It's a tired sport, because you can't express yourself. You can't do what people in other sports do. I'm not saying baseball is, you know, boring or anything like that, but it's the excitement of the young guys who are coming into the game now who have flair. If that's Matt Harvey or Jacob deGrom or Manny Machado or Joc Pederson or Andrew McCutchen or Yasiel Puig -- there's so many guys in the game now who are so much fun.

"Jose Fernandez is a great example. Jose Fernandez will strike you out and stare you down into the dugout and pump his fist. And if you hit a homer and pimp it? He doesn't care. Because you got him. That's part of the game. It's not the old feeling -- hoorah ... if you pimp a homer, I'm going to hit you right in the teeth. No. If a guy pimps a homer for a game-winning shot ... I mean -- sorry."

He stops, looks around. The hell with it, he's all in.

"If a guy pumps his fist at me on the mound, I'm going to go, 'Yeah, you got me. Good for you. Hopefully I get you next time.' That's what makes the game fun. You want kids to play the game, right? What are kids playing these days? Football, basketball. Look at those players -- Steph Curry, LeBron James. It's exciting to see those players in those sports. Cam Newton -- I love the way Cam goes about it. He smiles, he laughs. It's that flair. The dramatic."

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Gossage is milking this like crazy. On Toronto TV last night and radio this morning. He's hilarious.

He called kids flipping bats in Little League "Little Turds." No matter what side of the debate you are on, it's funny

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Goose still don't wanna walk him.

7. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Sorry, but preening is just annoying as all hell and should be embarrassing for anyone who does it. It's like talking about yourself in the third person. No one wants to watch a game filled with idiots constantly celebrating the most basic of plays. I get that people get caught up in the moment, but when you're throwing bats repeatedly or doing that crap that Cam Newton does, you're planning it. It's just low class crap and only people who have class realize it. So preen away, so that you're beloved by other low-class people.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Bautista's bat flip was stupid. Hey, Jose, you didn't just win an MMA fight, you hit a game-winning homer in the playoffs. Smile, tough guy.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Straight thug.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I figure the only reason "the code" still exists in baseball (and hockey) is that severe retribution is always a possibility.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Thug, no. But he looks like a dink in that particular photo.

Draft saved Draft deleted