1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Google's Latest

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pete Incaviglia, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

With my luck (despite searching!) this is probably a D_B.

But, here goes!

Google's latest:
    http://www.google.com/goog411/

Unreal.

These people just don't stop. It's amazing.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I want to call and say "Las Vegas" and "hookers."

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

That. Is. Awesome.

4. jps

jps Active Member

been using their text messaging for quite a while now. great to get addresses for podunk high when you're on the road. plug it into genie the gps and I'm good to go. have also used it for weather reports.

(another useful tool is 1-800-555-tell. movie times/locations, weather, driving directions ... whole mess of crap. and you can play blackjack with a bad sean connery impersonator!)

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Or "Florida" and "jorts."

Or "Jersey" and "hair gel."

Or "West Virginia" and "dentist." Just kidding. We all know that doesn't exist.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, that's a great tool. I also just use regular old Google search on my phone and that works, too.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I tried this yesterday and it worked pretty well. Saved me 1.49 x 2 in fees from t-mobile. Cool.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

That ad makes me want to stop Googling forever.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I wish I had Internet connectivity on my cell because I'd use your approach. This phone number service sounds pretty cool though, especially, as jps said, when you're on the road trying to find BFE High School.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Goog 411 has been around for a while; what's fascinating about it is that Google is offering this service for free because in reality, it's a huge R&D effort by Google as it attempts to create a new voice-recognition software...they are in essence recording every accent known to man and are then matching those accents to their recorded words.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Google/?p=852

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Can't wait until this day:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/40076

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Don't forget Google Voice, now in beta, which will give you a new phone number but rings all your lines at once.

Draft saved Draft deleted