1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Google's driverless car navigates DC streets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 18, 2012.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The computer-controlled Prius took a spin around the Capitol yesterday, and apparently did pretty well. Personally, I wouldn't trust this in DC with the knucklehead human drivers around here, but I guess it's possible it'll improve some day.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0512/76459.html

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think it's really cool that this technology is advancing, but I have to say, I really enjoy driving. I'm not ready to give up my steering wheel just yet.

3. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Hopefully I will be long since dead before this becomes reality. I love to drive.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I like driving, but on long trips, it gets tedious. I wouldn't mind an autopilot so I can kick back and relax.

5. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Yes, but can it honk when the light turns green.

It would be nice on I-80 or long trips without much traffic, but I just don't see it taking over in many downtowns.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I see driverless cars being more effective and safer in cities than long trips.

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I think eventually they'll be most useful in replacing truck drivers. I'd be in favor of Reserving a separate lane for driverless 18-wheelers with barriers that keep them away from the rest of the highway on major highways. Trucks could run continuously without a need for drivers to sleep or eat.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Of course, that would put about 3.5 million people out of work.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I think there's too many variables that a truck driver deals with that they could be completely removed from the equation. Plus it'll be a long time before people are comfortable with driverless 18-wheelers lumbering down the interstate, unless you built the equivalent of a nationwide bus rapid transit system with dedicated lanes, and that's not likely to happen.

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I think the generation born after the millennium will have a complete (and scary) amount of trust in technology. Enough to put semis in the carpool lane without a driver.

If Google can do this with a passenger car now, if a Caddy can parallel park itself, if we can send drones to enemy territory and fire missiles, imagine what driverless cars will be capable of in 2025.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The next decade will be amazing in several areas with transportation. Too bad the road infrastructure is decrepit in many areas of the country.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

We already have 4-5 private toll bridges in this state. My guess is the private sector will be involved in the next-gen roads needed. Cue the Starman rant.

Draft saved Draft deleted