1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Google+

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Click this link ... SJ shrinks images by default

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-fWKUHx2ncTo/Th8zkyKZhrI/AAAAAAAAALQ/f2dRmTvjFZg/s576/4e1e439d9bc2f.jpg

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

@bd, I think the one above the last one is much more likely to be me.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Actually I think a lot of those could be you

4. Matt Stephens

Photographers beware: If you upload a photo to Google+, you're giving Google the rights to use it or share it with affiliated parties. This means your cool photo could be used in an ad, with you receiving no benefits.

5. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I'm on it. Never did Facebook or Myspace, but a friend told me to give it a try, so I did. (He also blackmailed me, saying if I didn't get on Plus, he'd create a Facebook page for me).

It's too bad, too. I had enjoyed a fairly good run of being off the social networking grid, but I guess all things must come to an end.

I do like the idea of being able to decide which circles get to see which posts/photos/etc...

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

So how is it?

7. Matt Stephens

So far, I'm just using it like a Tumblr, posting cool stuff I find.

8. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

Google+ is Facebook but without your friends

9. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Ditto (and thanks again for the invite).

I just think google (while evil in many ways I'm sure) is a lot less evil than fb. They're a much more transparent company than fb in that their API is a lot more open and free-wheeling than facebook's is, which in turn, enables the free world to make extensions and such that make the experience better and simpler. Coders and developers tell me that working with Facebook (as people and dealing with code) is a goddamn nightmare.

I love how simple the integration of it all is/can be with google docs, too. Wonderful synergy with much greater outward control than fb. Doesn't seem like you have to run through a labryinth of links and unchecking boxes just to maintain the sheen of privacy.

In the end, though, I don't think this is a death chop to fb by any means. A shot to the kidneys, yeah, but not a killer. If you're the cats over at linkedin, who are dealing with a boring UX and overcharging for a very underwhelming experience, I'd be scared.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If anyone has an invite to spare, I'll take one.

11. Matt Stephens

21, didn't I send you one?

12. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Hasn't taken off like I expect it too. I think people will see it's a lot like Facebook and not bother making a new account somewhere else.

Draft saved Draft deleted