1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Google Wave

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Simon, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Simon

Simon Active Member

Anyone started to play around with Wave? I got an invite today and it seems pretty interesting. It could be used for a lot of things. Seems like it struggles with an easy feature such as making twitter work within it.

I also have a couple of invites left so if you want one, send me a PM.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I've just barely started trying to figure it out and what it can do.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I've heard it descibed as the newsedit pro for the non-newspaper set.
    But I haven't used it and I don't know if that description is accurate.
    Anyone care to chime in...

4. Simon

Simon Active Member

It seems like it could serve as a Twitter/RSS Feed/Email headquarters but I'm not sure I want those all lumped together as a consumer because stuff would get lost.

Also, seems like you could "subscribe" to waves that are updates from News orgs. The other night three of my friends and I were just posting random funny pictures of inside jokes mostly between us.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It's confusing. And it's too much at once. It would be like trying to teach a person the internet all at once.

I can't figure out how to get conversations to stop showing up in my inbox. It is slow. Just too much at once. I like gmail way better.

Anyway, I've got 28 invites left. If someone wants one, PM me.

6. Wave has a very steep learning curve, especially for people who like things slowly and orderly.

It has a lot of potential to enhance collaborative work, but in no way should be used in a work environment people have access to from outside. Too much risk of confidential data leaking out.

7. Simon

Simon Active Member

Are there ways to "lock" what you say instead of someone else being able to edit it and are all waves pretty much open?

Does anyone see this as future content?

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Well, that's damnation with faint praise ... ;D

Honestly, today when I finally received one of the invitations allegedly sent to me a month ago (I think they're going real slow with the actual activation of a sent invite) ... I was nonplussed. Total letdown. It's almost like it's Gmail 2.0, and what I had expected was more like the next Facebook.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I just want it to be orderly. I don't want to look back through 58 messages to see where someone may have replied. I want everything new to show up and everything old to go out of my inbox. I don't want to log in and have it say "4 messages" when all of those messages are waves that I have read.

10. Simon

Simon Active Member

That is what annoys me about Twitter. I've read all these tweets already half of which were completely useless. MAKE THEM DISAPPEAR!

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Not too different from SportsJournalists.com!

Seriously though, what are you using Twitter for?

If it is for news then you need to subscribe to better news outlets, if it is to follow celebrities then yeah it probably is useless, if it is to follow your friends then tell them to stop being boring.

I'll give you two examples

Bad twitter post: I am eating Taco Bell
    Good Twitter post: I am eating Taco Bell because I am helplessly addicted to the $1.49 cheesy gordita crunch. THANKS JOE JACKSON!

12. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

That good Twitter post is just as bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted