1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Google Tablets.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Oct 25, 2012.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'm thinking of buying Dr. J a tablet for Christmas, and he wants a Google tablet over a Kindle Fire or iPad.

I started researching them on Best Buy's website and I didn't realize that there were a bunch of different kinds. I guess it's not just as easy as picking a Kindle or an iPad.

Anybody know what kind is better than any other?

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I have a Google Nexus 7, which is their 7" tablet. I ordered it directly from Google (and I got a $25 credit to their store to buy books/magazines/apps/whatever I wanted). I love it so far and I've had it about two months. I ordered the 16GB version (it comes in two versions, the 8GB and 16GB) and it was only $250, which is about $100 less than the iPad mini.

3. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

I've been researching for myself. The Nexus 7 seems pretty great. Better specs than the ipad mini for a lot cheaper. Wait until after Monday's Google press conference before you make a decision. They're expected to announce versions with more storage and some with cellular connectivity.

I'll probably end up buying one pretty soon after that press conference.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

He doesn't need one with all the bells and whistles, but I was thinking of waiting until the Holiday sales. Thanks for the advice thus far.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I'd suggest a Nook. Great reader with the tablet basics at a good price and fewer problems than a Kindle. Plus you can add storage with its sim card feature.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I like the IOS devices, but I don't really see the point of getting an iPad mini. The specs are behind the Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7, and it's more expensive to boot. If you're of a mind to spend $329 to get an iPad mini, why not spend a (relatively) little more and get the full-sized iPad with a much better processor and Retina display on a larger screen?

My mom bought the 16GB Nexus and she likes it quite a lot. I bought a 64GB iPad and like it more, but then I spent a lot more (and thanks for releasing a new one two months after I bought it, Apple!). The Nexus is very good for the price. I've heard good things about the Kindle Fire too, but I haven't done anything with it. The Surface tablet from Microsoft looks intriguing, but I'm wary about their mobile/tablet offerings after being burned on a WinMo6.5 smartphone that was rendered obsolete almost as soon as it landed in my hand.

I wasn't impressed with the early Nooks, but perhaps they've advanced past that.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It surprises me that you have had sucha positive BN experience.
    The Nook iPad app is terrible. The Kindle version is rock solid.
    Somebody gave me a BN gift card in June, and I've been using the Nook app almost exclusively since then. It's really frustrating. Just last night it locked me out. It was 12:30 a.m. I was trying to read, and it just locked me out of my Nook account.

It was quite vexing.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yup. I have a first gen Kindle Fire that has no bells and whistles. No bluetooth, no 3g/4g, no storage expansion, etc. Just a wifi connection. I got it as a reader, which was smaller than the iPad (at the time, before the mini), but have sort of turned it into my little buddy that I use for a bunch of other things. First thing I did was root it, so I also have access to the Google Play app store. It was easy and it still retains its nature as a "Kindle Fire." It just gives me all of the Android apps, because even though Amazon put their own interface over the Fire, it is just running an old version of Android with a simplified Amazon user interface over it.

I mostly carry it with me all the time to read. But I also keep a copy of Evernote (app I use to keep to do lists and keep track of things I have going on) and a scheduling app that syncs with iCal on it and make changes on the fly with it and all my computers automatically update when I sync. I also use it for streaming movies or TV shows (After the Cheers thread on here, I watched a bunch of old episodes that were on Amazon Prime).

I have no experience with the Nook, other than I suspected when buying the Fire that the Nook tablet wouldn't catch on -- B&N is going downhill. It had slightly better specs and I still wasn't getting it.

I wonder why the OP said it has fewer problems than the Kindle. My Kindle is really, really basic, it doesn't even run a current version of Android (you can wipe it clean and install Ice Cream Sandwich on it, by the way, but with its basic specs and the fact that you lose all of the Kindle-specific functionality, I don't know why anyone would) but it hasn't given me problems.

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

I have the Google Nexus 7 and in my opinion it's the best Android tablet on the market and even gives the iPad a run for its money.
    Why?
    Jelly Bean. Google has the Nexus 7 running its latest version of Android and it kicks ass. Smooth as butter.
    I can ask it questions (weather, scores, etc) and it speaks the replies.
    My wife's iPad has Siri and it doesn't work as well as my Nexus.
    Plus unlike the iPad, you can customize Android the way you like it.
    Like someone said, Google is going to expand the Nexus line (32 GB 7 in screen and 10 in screen) and they will be worth checking out.

10. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Go with an iPad. And if cost is an issue, go with one of the new iPad Mini.
    There will always be less app support for the Kindle Fire, Google tablet or any tablet operating on an Android OS (which pretty much all of them do other than Nook) because of the way Google Play works.

The reason not every app (probably not even half) you can download to your Android phone is available on an Android tablet is because there's no standardization of screen size. My Android phone has a five-inch screen, but my wife's has a 3.5-inch. Same goes for the Samsung tablet vs. the Fire vs. whatever, they all have different screen size, making app developers not want to spend the time designing their apps for such a wide range of resolutions. It's not worth their time, especially with how little of the market share some of these tablets take up.

I'm not an Apple guy by any means, but iPhone and iPad are the only way to go if you want to get the most out of your mobile device.

Draft saved Draft deleted