1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Google Street View car hits a deer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Apr 16, 2009.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You know the really flamboyant Italian gay guy who lives on the first floor of my building, who I have posted about once or twice? (the one who kept trying kiss me?)... I just did the google street view thing of my building and I think I can see him behind his window from the front of the building.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

OK, that's funny. And I say that with nothing but love, one person with thousands of posts on a message board under a fake name to another.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Almost as good as this kid...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, but this isn't a webcast of a conversation going on five miles from my house.

5. As someone mentioned above, I too use it to have a better visual of a place before I go there if I have never been.

6. I'm waiting for Google Street View Car to solve a murder.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

OK, I'm a stalker and that even freaks ME out.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

We used it a TON for our NY trip.

9. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I figured if I ever need to get to know the New York area, I'd just pop in my Spider-Man video game and swing around for a few hours :)

10. It does come in handy while looking at houses. Realtor pages only show you what they want you to see. I've also found it useful covering cops. More than anything though, I think it's cool as shit to drag the little yellow guy around your neighborhood or city and put him in different places - alleyways, bridges, etc. - that you've never been. No reason in particular, but to just explore without getting lost or stuck in traffic. If anything, I think it helps me find places I do want to visit. Think of it as a sneak preview.

11. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

I just looked at my parents house. There's so much detail I can tell about when it was taken.

The car drove through their neighborhood on a Friday, because their trash can is sitting out and Friday is trash day. It was also after 9 a.m. because the trash is already gone from the can, but before noon because my dad always brings it in on his lunch break. It also had to be taken after an ice storm that took out most of the trees in their neighborhood between Thanksgiving and Christmas 2007. The trees are lopsided from where the branches broke.

It was also summer, because my mom is sitting on the front porch. She's a teacher and in the summer sits on the front porch and reads in the mornings.

And that amount of detail is why I'm against Google Street View. There's a scary amount of detail that someone with some knowledge can figure out by looking at it.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

spup, some people in England agree with you.

http://www.24dash.com/news/Housing/2009-04-03-Villagers-block-Google-Street-View-mapping-car-in-protest-over-privacy-invasion

Draft saved Draft deleted