1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Google spends $1.7B to buy YouTube

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

He said that it's just a matter of time before they get their ass sued off for copyright infringement. I don't think the copyright deals today are going to fix that problem, though. It won't stop Johnny Ninth-Grader from posting a South Park clip or college kids from posting Conan/Stewart/Colbert clips.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That's not the direction these kinds of companies are headed in, although I supposed there might be some "premium" aspect of it somewhere down the road.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

SF,

I'm not plugged in like some people, but how does YouTube stay afloat? I see one sponsored ad from Cingular but no other visable means of revenue?

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

said the man who traded FOR Juwan Howard

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Said the man who made billions selling an internet company...

6. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

It kind of makes us wonder if it's wise to quit our day job, throw everything we've got into the website, and see what happens.

:-\

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Good for YouTube. And a pretty good move from all indications on the part of the boys at Google.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And said the man who made a mint selling to Yahoo a company that went tits up pretty quickly.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

There are calculated risks, and there are foolish gambles.

Keep your day job (for now), biglead.

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Yeah, that was my reaction too. I don't think youtube will be nearly as big as it is now in just a year or two. I think that this will be a smart purchase for Google in the long run.

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The difference being that the dot-com bust came because companies never figured out how to actually turn a profit. Google, MySpace, etc., are watching the earnings just roll in, and they don't have any debt.

12. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Now utube.com wants a piece of the action: http://blogs.reuters.com/2006/10/09/utube-to-google-lets-talk/

Draft saved Draft deleted