1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Google spends $1.7B to buy YouTube

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

It's a stock deal.

Link coming as soon as I can find one.

2. Freelance Hack

Here's a link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15196982/

Guess I got in the wrong business :(

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Google had their own video service much like YouTube's, but they were beat to market. So when you can't beat 'em, beat off to 'em.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Good for the folks at YouTube. I'm feeling another dotcom bust coming, though, for some of these sites.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

No bust at all. These sites are used far greater than many suspect and the ability to farm out the hosting of video so as it remains copyright protected is very valuable.

A good friend uses them a lot in his web development business.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Google buys YouTube

So the deal is done. Three guys started the company in early 2005; today they sold it for $1.6 billion.

Company has 67 employees total. This from the AP story:

YouTube will continue to retain its brand, as well as all 67 employees, including co-founders Chad Hurley and Steve Chen. The deal is expected to close in the fourth quarter of this year.

"I'm confident that with this partnership we'll have the flexibility and resources needed to pursue our goal of building the next-generation platform for serving media worldwide," said Hurley, YouTube's 29-year-old CEO.

People with ideas are still making money out there if they're willing to take a shot. These guys stayed alive on credit cards for a while.

Good for them -- but I'm jealous.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Re: Google buys YouTube

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/32748/

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Re: Google buys YouTube

See, these multiple boards kill me sometimes. To me, this is more sports and news than anything goes. Whatareya gonna do? Sorry ...

9. Freelance Hack

No biggie. It could have gone either way.

10. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Mark Cuban said that whoever bought YouTube would be making a horrible mistake...I guess time will tell...

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, I'm not sure what he based that on, and he might be right, but YouTube making those deals today to avoid copyright infringement certainly has to make the whole thing more palatable.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

So, when will YouTube become a fucking pay site?

Draft saved Draft deleted