1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Google Seeks to Weaken Search Engine Ranking of “Content Farming” Websites

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 23, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

About time:

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Ruh-oh. Someone call Bleacher Report.

3. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Thank God. Google News has become next to useless with all the results from Bleacher Report, SB Nation, BallerStatus.com, etc. It's not all crap, but the quality-to-crap ratio is so high so as to make the search significantly degraded.

Almost equally bad, incidentally, is USA Today, which appears to have completely de-emphasized its own sports content in favor of aggregating (i.e. stealing) other sites' content and passing it off as its own by summarizing it.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice...

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And Demand Studios.

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

And eHow and Examiner.

7. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Now if Yahoo would follow suit, it would be an even more crushing blow to B/R

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've gotten 17 "google news alerts" on Nick Punto in the past three days. I think three of them were from legitimate newspapers, or legitimate blogs. The rest were places like BR. It hurt my heart, since I'd never read BR, to see what they're really considering "content."

9. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

I think you can see a huge improvement in Google News sports results already.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

BUT BLEACHER REPORT JUST GOT FUNDING!!!!!!! IT IS THE SHIZZIT!!!!!!!

/schottey

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Frankly, Bleacher Report and other content mills shouldn't be in Google News results at all.

As for regular search results, I'd like to see content mill results pushed down, at least below a Wikipedia entry.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, doesn't this pretty much destroy the business plan for sites like Bleacher Report? I mean, it's not like anyone actually goes there on purpose.

Google News had become nearly useless. I didn't want it to restrict searches to only sites like the New York Times or the Washington Post, but I've long thought that there should be a way for me, the user, to rank search results. This way, I could give a thumbs up (or something like that) to results from the Times, the Post & other legitimate sources. And, I should be able to say, "do not show me more results from this source."

If Google can take car of all of this through adjusting their algorithms, fine. I hope they can.

Draft saved Draft deleted