1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Google putting newspaper archives online

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to think, at some point, we'll all be working for a localized Google News service ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/09/technology/09google.html?_r=2&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&ref=technology&adxnnlx=1220976218-LLaYyO5EJdU/AS+7VIjpTg

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I, for one, support our Google overlords!

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

What a novel idea.

In other news, PaperOfRecord.com and NewspaperArchive.com just shuddered. Surprised that teh Google didn't merely buy one or both of them instead.

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

You still have to pay for NYT articles.

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

No mention if Google is going to charge for this or not. The article mentions Google worked with Heritage and ProQuest, which do charge for their services. If it is a free service ... that is a boon to researchers for sure.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

There was a strong rumor floating around in the spring of 2007 that Google had purchased Paper of Record. I know we discussed it within SABR circles, because PoR has The Sporting News archives. I can't find anything to clarify PoR's ownership status -- it seems to still be managed, if not owned, by Cold North Wind, a Canadian company, although it was for sale for a long time.

Perhaps Google didn't buy it and is now competing with it for newspaper digitization.

That said, if it is free and offers the range of papers that NewspaperArchive.com, PoR and/or ProQuest offer, it'll be huge -- and could put them all out of business. But that's going to take a lot from Google to acquire the rights to those papers. So I'll believe it when I see it ...

Then again, it would save me a shitload of money so I can't complain. (I ponied up $100/year for Ancestry.com (which includes NewspaperArchive.com) and $20/year from a library in Missouri for ProQuest now that SABR members can't get it for free.) It's been well worth the money, but still.

I'll be very interested to see how this one develops ...

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Doesn't look like they will charge since they will have ads and they will make a ton since they were google. And it is great to see they will share the revenue with publishers; somehow that may help.

8. In Exile

In Exile Member

Always check the online holdings of your local civic library and/or state library. They often provide online access to Proquest papers a/o electronically accessable local papers for free - all you need is your library card number.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Very few of them offer full ProQuest access, however. The L.A. Public Library, for instance, offers the LAT archives for free but not the others.

Draft saved Draft deleted