1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Google plans to kill NY Times, Washington Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Apr 27, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So what's the problem? Surely the Times and the Post will get paid by Google to post its content. Right?

So there you go. Google is going to roll out a fancy website, sell ads for it and then fill with the website with content they are stealing from the NY Times and Washington Post. Will the papers see a penny? Nope.

Waxman called BS as well.

Hell of a business model Google's got.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Not paying reporters is pretty much the only business model that works for online journalism, so I can't say that I blame them for trying.

3. Wasn't Schmidt basically just chewed out by Singleton and Co. at the ASNE conference? Sounds like Google is reminding them who places where on the pecking order these days.

4. The NY Times or the Washington Post or any other newspaper in America could restrict its content from being used on Goggle News today if they wanted to. But they don't, because they'd lose the millions of people that Google drives to their Web sites.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Newspapers can't jump for joy with the traffic it gets from Google and then complain when Google tries to make money off of its service.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Doesn't that same thing apply to ESPN and its use of all of the newspaper baseball writers for the generous links it will put up to the writers' (for now) employers? Sports editors seem to think this is a good idea.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The way Google controls the Internet is the least-reported story today, IMO.

Just one of many examples: my former employer recently lost about a million-a-week in page views and went looking to find out why, since the company's advertisers pay per view...turns out my employer had done something to piss off Google inadvertently, so someone at Google manually pushed my employer's site waaaaay down the food chain overnight. Thus, because some guy at Google clicks a button, my former employer could have lost more than 100K in about two weeks.

Only a matter of time before Google starts to approach businesses with a "pay up or get pushed down" demand, IMO. Makes good business sense, for them, I suppose. But not for the rest of the net.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That is the sort of behavior that antitrust investigations are made of.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

And if you mention extortion again...I'll have your legs broken.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Well, this is why ALL newspapers should go pay only. What then will google send out/link up?

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The copycat sites that either hack into it or share the results of one subscription with the world.

Draft saved Draft deleted