1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Google One Pass

Discussion in 'Online Journalism' started by BB Bobcat, Feb 16, 2011.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20032217-1.html

Anyone think we may be approaching a day where paying for content becomes a little more palatable for readers?

Seems like aggregating the billing and sign-in procedures would help, so people who already have accounts with this or the Apple thing can just click away and get billed later, rather than having to sign up and give payment info individually for stuff.

Or not.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I can only imagine how big my bill would be. I read all day long. It would be good for news sites but not for me.

3. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Yeah, as a reader I'm already getting a little cranky with the NYT.

But as a publishing employee, this sounds like a decent idea. I used to spend a ton of money on magazines; I assume those funds would be diverted to something like this.

Also: Remember how those of us who used Napster said people would never pay for music?

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Color me optimistic that this can work as a funding model.

5. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

I know Media General has already jumped in the Google One Pass boat. I'm not sure how close they are to actually charging for anything, though.

I was under the impression this had to do more with apps for smart phones and tablet computer than it did websites.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Any news here? It's been almost a year now ... cruised over to this board for the first time in a while, and I'd totally forgotten about this.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I don't know who uses Google One Pass, but according to this (http://www.semissourian.com/story/1804911.html) it is unable to integrate databases in its system. One of the comments in this story also notes there seemed to have been a lot of bugs in the Google One Pass system.

Not sure how invested Google is in newspapers anymore. I was discouraged that they basically gave up on putting up old newspapers and totally changed (i.e. made worse) their news archive.

Draft saved Draft deleted