1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Google hijack virus/malware/whatever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mb, May 31, 2010.

1. mb

mb Active Member

I've looked everywhere on the net and read pretty much everything ... and understand pretty much nothing.

Has anybody else had this ... and gotten rid of it?
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Along these lines: Has anyone gone to ESPN.com in the past few days and been redirected at random to some dude's Twitter page? It's happening to me repeatedly.
  3. Go here and download the free software. Run the software and see what is infecting you.

4. mb

mb Active Member

Just finished about six hours of trying to kill this bug. Tried malwarebytes and hitman pro. I think I might have finally zapped that mofo with tdsskiller.
  5. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Another option: look up your computer's backdoor boot-up command (HP, Gateway, etc.) ... get in there and do a System Restore from behind the partition (this is easier than it sounds). I restored to 4 days ago and got rid of it.
  6. Excellent advice. Do this and then run Malwarebytes.
  7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Agreed. I have done this before and it worked perfectly.
  8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Why, oh why does it always come down to the back door on SportsJournalists.com? :p
  9. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

I've picked it up several times on my home laptop and AdAware seems to get rid of it again and again.

We've had it on the only working PC in my office for about 3 months, but the IT genius who makes likely twice what I do can't seem to figure it out. Because it infects Google and our Macs are circa 1996 with Internet browsers that quit functioning properly around 2004, it's super annoying and makes everything 100 times more difficult than it needs to be.
  10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Stay on topic and have a Happy Virus-Free Day
Draft saved Draft deleted