1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Google employee now free to work for Cleveland Plain-Dealer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RickStain, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

typefitter likes this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This is a complete misunderstanding of the Gospel According to Freq.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Question for everyone: Would any of your employers find it acceptable for an employee to distribute a 10-page op-ed at work?

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It wasn't an op-ed ... it was a mission statement.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

So, the anti-me?

7. LongTimeListener

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Got my dad (who works at IBM) and my step-sister's cousin (who works at Google) in the same room and they both basically made a similar point to this.

The Google guy said the company for the most part has an open policy about the exchange of ideas at work but it effectively turns into a one sided affair which he said the manifesto guy was trying to argue. Then he went off the rails and brought gender and minorities into it and it became a confusing mess. He said it had the spark of a coherent thought but just went crazy quickly.

My dad said Google might be in a world of hurt here because there is no real company policy preventing someone from doing this. He said at IBM anything that is shared in a common area or to other employees must first be approved. And the only things that are approved are strictly work or company related. You can't write a defense of Bernie Sanders nor can you talk about the genius of Alex Jones. And just for the reason Google is taking it in the shorts right now.

Personally once you start taking shots at women and saying they don't have the temperament to do a job, you should be fired. I have a feeling California's sexual harassment laws might save Google but it is going to get ugly.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Google is in a world of hurt the other way, too. They are already under a gender discrimination wage lawsuit.

They are also heavy on peer review for both hiring and promotion decisions. Every woman who was ever in the same room as him during the hiring process has a case.

10. LongTimeListener

Stanford lecturer weighs in.

"I'm a woman in computer science. Let me ladysplain the Google memo to you."

If, as the manifesto’s defenders claim, the population averages do not have anything to say about individual Googlers, who are all exceptional, then why is Google the subject of the manifesto’s arguments at all? What do averages have to do with hiring practices at a company that famously hires fewer than one percent of applicants? In the name of the rational empiricism and quantitative rigor that the manifesto holds so dear, shouldn’t we insist that it only cite studies that specifically speak to the tails of the distribution — to the actual pool of women Google draws from?

For example, we could look to the percentage of women majoring in computer science at highly selective colleges and universities. Women currently make up about 30 percent of the computer science majors at Stanford University, one key source of Google’s elite workforce. Harvey Mudd College, another elite program, has seen its numbers grow steadily for many years, and is currently at about 50 percent women in their computer science department.

Yet Google’s workforce is just 19 percent female. So even if we imagine for a moment that the manifesto is correct and there is some biological ceiling on the percentage of women who will be suited to work at Google — less than 50 percent of their workforce — isn’t it the case that Google, and tech generally, is almost certainly not yet hitting that ceiling?

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

At HM, they accept female applicants at 2.5 times the rate of male applicants.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Harvey Mudd awarded 44 degrees in computer science in 2015-16. » Graduates by Major
    If 50 percent of CS majors at Harvey Mudd are women, let's assume so are 50 percent of graduates.
    That's 22 women with CS degrees in 2015-16.
    If Google hires all 22, what percentage of Google's tech workers are now women?

Draft saved Draft deleted