1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Google employee now free to work for Cleveland Plain-Dealer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RickStain, Aug 8, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, at MIT it's 2-1. I imagine Stanford's CS program would be similar.

The point does stand though that whatever these "average" population traits are, they probably don't apply much in Google's applicant pool.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Some of this hits close to home. DaughterQuant, a rising sophomore, took the standard AP/pre-AP course(s) across the board last year. Her lowest year-long average was 96, and in her pre-AP math course her average was 99. She's probably one of the three or four best (perhaps the best) math student in her huge, well-regarded high school. She sticks with it, she's likely get into some seriously prestigious school (a Rice, a Stanford, definitely a public Ivy).

What's she passionate about?

Singing, playing the violin ... if it's in the performing arts, she's all over it.

Shaking my head ...

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

When she gets to that school, some dumbass inspired by that guy will tell her she wouldn't be there if girls didn't get special treatment

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Which is why affirmative action offends and upsets a lot of women and minorities

5. RickStain

It also works. Because unlike the false perception, these places *do* admit mediocre white people when left to their own devices.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I don't think Clarence Thomas counts as "a lot."

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Shit. Nobody said there was going to be math on the final.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Tech companies fuck their workers in the ass, but not in a political way.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The overall point isn't wrong, especially in the Bay Area, but I might have avoided the 1950s gay comparison. You aren't getting arrested or beaten up for being conservative ... at least not beaten up at work.

12. RickStain

He wasn't fired for being conservative

Draft saved Draft deleted