1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Google Earth

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by D-Backs Hack, Feb 16, 2007.

1. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I think I've just found my new computer time-killer.

Fun to zoom in with a satellite image of your house (my neighbor's corner lot is even bigger than I thought), and who knew you could find a baseball field in Madagascar?

Definitely worth a download:

http://earth.google.com/earth4.html

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

You guys should also get this thing called an iPod.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I have to be careful with Google Earth because I could waste a whole day looking at it and seeing what Wrigley Field, the Empire State Building, etc. look like from on high.

My town's satellite photo is almost 3 years old (I guess April 2004, judging by the greenery). I can tell because my 2 vehicles are parked at my old house, the football field is still under construction, subdivisions that should be there aren't, etc.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

My swimming pool has the old cover on it. ;)

5. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

I try to find sports stadiums, especially the ones with people in them. Look at Candlestick Park. It's packed for a game.

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I found Doc's parents' house without using their address. I know they live on a lake, so I found the lake that looked like their lake and low and behold, I found their house. :D

7. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

I found a really cool "new" computer program called "Oregon Trail" -- check it out if you get a minute. ;D

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Apparently, there is a little geekdom out there that makes groups of "bookmarks" for Google Earth. I downloaded the English soccer stadiums. There's all the major-college football stadiums, all the ballparks in professional baseball ... all kinds of stuff.

9. Snarky Arky

Snarky Arky Member

I emailed my mom a shot of her house from space once. It blew her mind.

10. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

[​IMG] You just blew my mind!

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

<a href="http://googlesightseeing.com/2007/02/13/top-10-sports-on-google-earth/">
    There are some neat sports images on this link. The one where you can see the group on the golf green is amazing. Talk about big brother looking down!</a>

12. yeah, but if you try to look at Big Brother, (i.e. military installations, etc.) you get blurry images or faux clouds covering key buildings.

Practical applications though...I used an arial shot of a small road where I got a speeding ticket. Was able to prove that there was little chance my car could reach the speed I was ticketed for.

Draft saved Draft deleted