1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Google Chrome help needed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HC, Oct 17, 2013.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

We downloaded a program to our computer yesterday which appears to have made Bing my default search engine. I have changed Chrome settings and even tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome but still, when I open a New tab I get a Bing page instead of my usual Chrome tab which shows our most used links.

How the hell do I get my Chrome back to normal??? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Just some random shots in the dark:
    Is there anything under Extensions in history?
    There's also a button to revert back to original settings. That could work, but since you uninstalled/re-installed, I doubt it.

The other option I can think of off the top of my head: Search your computer for files that were modified yesterday around the time you downloaded the program and delete those files (especially anything that's an .exe) and then see if that helps. (You can google the file before you delete it to see what it is). If you're using windows, if you go to start>computer>then click in the search bar, it will give you an option to add a filter on date modified.

Other people might have better advice. Those just would be a couple of the things I tried.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Are you sure that you downloaded Chrome from Google site?

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Maybe do a system restore to before you downloaded that program?

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Have you tried uninstalling Bing?

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If you go into tools , then settings , you can set what search engine you want to use.

Just tried it. Bing is one of choices . You can change to Google.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I had tried everything suggested except searching for amended files and the system restored. The only thing that worked was the system restore except that now I've lost the program we downloaded so the whole mess will start again <sigh>.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The irony is strong in this one.

Next time, search Google. Or even Bing.

https://support.google.com/toolbar/answer/33163?hl=en

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I have to believe HC let JR take over her account for this thread.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I did search Google and followed those instructions. Didn't work for whatever reason.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Bing owns your computer now.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Try going to your history, then clicking your extensions (top right corner of the screen), then looking through them and deleting anything you don't recognize.

Draft saved Draft deleted