1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodfella's take on Donaghy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Jul 27, 2007.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Interesting piece on Page 2 about Henry Hill (who you might remember from Goodfellas) and his involvement with the BC point-shaving scandal, as well as his thoughts on Donaghy.

I just wonder, if Michael Philbrick found Hill so easily, how come he hasn't been rubbed out by the mob yet?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=philbrick/070727

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Rent Goodfellas and pay close attention to what Morrie is saying as he's getting into the car right before Pesci shoves the shiv in the back of his neck.

"Did you hear about the points that were were shaving up in Boston?"

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This guy gets a ton of airplay - he is boring as shit or unintelligible every time I have heard him on the radio.

This Donaghy thing has given every lowlife former mobster another 15 minutes of fame.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think Hill has a SAG card. Whenever a mob movie is made, he is asked to consult on it. Also, he does a lot of interviews; he's in the public eye. I believe he comes back to NY about six times a year.

5. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Yet he's supposedly a "rat" that the mob wants dead. Something doesn't quite jibe there.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Feds. Feds ain't gonna let anyone get close to their boy.

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

What else is Hill good for now? The Mob is less than a shell of what it once was. Plus, I think he fucked up so many times that the WPP cut him loose. All those drug busts he was in. I don't think any wiseguy really gives a shit anymore about him.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Henry Hill walked out of witness protection years ago. He also has been arrested at least twice for drug dealing and has done time since he left witness protection.
    The Feds are no longer protecting him but the depleted New York mob no longer cares what happened 35 years ago, so even though Hill doesnlt make his whereabouts readily know, the mob doesnlt bother with him anymore, either.
    Everybody he helped put away is dead now, anyway, and the new generation mobsters don't care about old grudges.

9. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

That's it right there. He may get rubbed out one day, but it would proabbly be over some stupid shot now, not for a payback from 20 or 30 years before. Just not worth it I suppose.

He was great when he used to call into Stern drunk. And he was so matter-of-fact on the Goodfellas DVD commentary. As Rome would say, "chilling stuff."

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

A relative of mine was in rehab with Henry Hill some years ago. Said he was an entertaining guy, but nuts.

Draft saved Draft deleted