1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodfellas Alert!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, Jun 25, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

It's on Men TV here in the North. Not sure if that's available in the States.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What is this Canada you speak of, eh?

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Whatever, I just finished watching Vision Quest. Nothing else will top that for like, the next week or so.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Wrestling is NOT a team sport -- when you're out there alone on the mat, there's not a helluva lot a team can do for ya!

5. Songbird

One of my favorite movies.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

One of the least cheesey lines in the whole thing. Yet I can't ever turn my eyes away when it comes on.

Cooch!!!

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Louden Swain: You never took a night off to see me wrestle before. They'll dock you for that.
    Elmo: Hey, kid - money ain't everything.
    Louden Swain: It's not that big a deal, Elmo. I mean, it's six lousy minutes on the mat, if that.
    Elmo: You ever hear of Pele?
    Louden Swain: Yeah, he's a, a soccer player.
    Elmo: A very famous soccer player.
    [pause]
    Elmo: I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the goddamn goalie never knew what the fuck hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'm here, sitting alone in my room, and I start crying.
    [pause]
    Elmo: That's right, I start crying. Because another human being, a species that I happen to belong to, could kick a ball, and lift himself, and the rest of us sad-assed human beings, up to a better place to be, if only for a minute... let me tell ya, kid - it was pretty goddamned glorious. It ain't the six minutes... it's what happens in that six minutes.

8. Songbird

That's the first scene I think of everytime someone brings up Vision Quest, and I've referened it in the past while writing about wrestling.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

It's a damn good, powerful scene.

Draft saved Draft deleted