1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodell Proposes Longer NFL Season (Continued)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Mar 26, 2009.

?

How Long Do You Think NFL Season Should Be?

1. Was Too Long At 14 Wks.

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. 16 Weeks, With A Bye (Currently)

24 vote(s)
    52.2%
  3. 17 or 18 Weeks (As Commissioner Proposes)

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Then you are dealing with serious heat issues.

Keep it at 16, chop off two weeks of the preseason.

Heck, play the preseason games for five quarters if you want to see more of certain players.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Get rid of two preseason games, expand it to 18. If you want to have the Super Bowl on President's Day weekend, great. February is the worst month for sports in the year.

Of course, every four years, you'll have the Olympics to deal with, but whatever.

As for games getting blizzarded out ... like the NFL cares. They play playoff games in cold weather places all the time. At night, no less. It's a TV sport. There's really not much care given to the fans.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

93, I do not wish to see the schedule expanded, either. For one thing, due to the heat factor you cited, ALL the extra games would be night games. Ugh.
    I think Goodell will abandon the idea because it will not generate enough extra money from the networks to make it profitable once the players get the cut they will demand.
    Remember, if you extend the season at the back end, you are expanding the number of games where the bad weather risk will be operative in the regular season as well. At the least, it will lead to many empty seats.
    I'm sure Pats fans will shrug it off when a home AFC title game is moved to Miami or Indianapolis as an away game because Gillette Stadium is unusable.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They get their salaries prorated for 17 weeks (16 games, plus the bye week). For exhibitions, they all receive a flat fee (like $900 a game or something to that effect).

Keep the schedule at 16. Get rid of the two preseason games, unless you want to expand the rosters considerably (like to 70 or so).

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The NFL could not care much less.

6. Castaway

Castaway New Member

The games won't need to be moved. Most blizzards don't last for four days in one place. Sure it could happen occasionally that one of the northern cities in the league has a home game in early February and a storm comes, but you're making it sound like every team plays in cities constantly hit by two feet of snow. And as far as small amounts of snow, I think the NFL likes that visual on TV anyway. They definitely don't care about the fans in attendance.

The 18-game season is coming, as is the Presidents' Day weekend Super Bowl. It might be in three years or seven, but it's coming.

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I already like the 16-week regular season schedule, but four exhibition games is too many. I wouldn't mind seeing 17 or 18 regular season games, but those exhibition games need to be limited.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I can't believe so many of you are so in favor of this. It's not just a replacement for the fricken preseason games. It's turning those two meaningless games into one more churn on the meatgrinder. Think some 35-year-old NFL coach, even with expanded roster, is going to see the bigger picture and reduce the number of carries on his superstar running back? Hell no. He's going to grind him that much worse. Why? Because he now HAS TO WIN THOSE GAMES. No one gave a shit about them before, but now, OMFG if you lose them, we'll run your ass out of town. So anyone who manages to make it eight years in the league essentially has a year shaved off their career.

Absurd. The human body can't hold up to 18 games of live, have-to-win punishment. It already breaks down with 16 games.

Do this, and you'd better start handing out steroids, or at least stop pretending you give a shit about whether players take them now.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No, then people will be bitching about 9-9 teams contending for playoff spots.
    I think it's perfect at 16 games. You have the four-month season, a nice playoff season, and then the Super Bowl. You weed out the horrific teams, see the really good ones separate themselves, and have enough in the middle of the pack to make for an exciting playoff race in both conferences. Why change that?
    OK, I know why. But from a competitive standpoint, why change that?

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Well said, those 2 pre season games they're replacing are games that the starters don't play in. Look at how beat up these players are after 16 games, how in the hell can there bodies hold up over 18 and the playoffs for some. This will shorten careers.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

DD, you need to put these posts in a blog and charge to read them. Damn. Fine. Shit.

12. Upper Tupper

Upper Tupper Member

Why not a 52-week season? 48 weeks for regular season games, three playoff weeks, and then the SB. Then just start over. That's where this is headed.

Draft saved Draft deleted