1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodell Proposes Longer NFL Season (Continued)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Mar 26, 2009.

?

How Long Do You Think NFL Season Should Be?

1. Was Too Long At 14 Wks.

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. 16 Weeks, With A Bye (Currently)

24 vote(s)
    52.2%
  3. 17 or 18 Weeks (As Commissioner Proposes)

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/x1818257562/NFL-commissioner-wants-longer-season

I don't think I have a d-b here, but I saw this and was wondering what writers who cover (or just watch) NFL think of cutting back on exhibition games and extending the season. I knew there were rumblings a while back, but I think a hard push is on for it to become reality (provided Goodell and NFL can work it out with the players union and the networks).

I have a friend who, if she could, would vote to extend the season. I think the season is long enough as is. I just got to wondering what the SportsJournalists.com crowd thought of this.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm more for killing the useless preseason games. If that means adding a couple of games to the regular season, then that's fine with me.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Go with 18, cut two preseason ... tack the games on the front of the season, or very least one before and one after the current schedule.

Otherwise the Super Bowl will be in late February.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm fine with adding two at the end if we cut some pre-season games.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Absolutely. And that means my dad and I just have to pay for just one preseason game, which are basically garbage since pretty much no one is interested in buying from us, instead of two.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The NFL season is already filled with enough crap play and injuries. It will merely increase with more games.

On the other hand, this might require teams to actually be good to make the playoffs.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The preseason is too long. This will make the preseason more meaningful since they'll only get two chances to get ready for the season.

I'm all for this.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They might need to expand the roster a few players if they will be playing full-tilt for two more games.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Spot on. Only way to get the union to agree.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

That, and to prorate contracts up an extra two games pay.

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

How about just letting all 53 players dress for the games, and instituting a rule equivalent to baseball's 15-day disabled list, allowing them to bring someone up from the practice squad to cover for a short-term injury?

But yeah, there's no chance the players would sign off unless they get some significant salary concessions.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Probably expand the active roster to about 52, remove the stupid bizarro-world designation for the 3rd QB, keep the practice squad at 8, allow a couple of in-season activations.

Draft saved Draft deleted