1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodell made $29.49M in 2011

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 15, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

daniel kaplan @dkaplanSBJ

BREAKING NEWS: NFL paid Roger Goodell $29.49 million in 2011, nearly tripling his pay, according to tax return to be filed later today...

---

I guess I wouldn't mind looking like an asshat and a toady for that kind of coin.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah... Wow...

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

wouldnt that be his income for 2012? or is he a year behind in paying his taxes?

in any event, it doesnt appear his bosses are nearly as displeased with his job performance as some SportsJournalists.comers are...

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Since the NFL can't offer stock options, the Commissioner's salary is always going to be high in cash terms -- overly high since he is denied certain tax advantages most CEOs have.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I remember when during the official's strike Goodell said it was only fair that the officials give up thier defined benefit pension plan. His rationale was that the NFL employees ahd given up thier plans, including him. Goodell made it sound like this was a high moral issue. How dare the refs have a defined benefit plan? And Goodell was leading by example.

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

I think we're all so upset by this, we're all going to stop supporting the NFL in any way.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

well, you journalists can repeatedly mention this when writing about the NFL. Goodell is heavily compensated by the owners that any appearance of objectivity is an illusion.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the thing that bugs me about the figure is that he is making more than any player in the league, and I think when you talk about what makes the NFL the NFL, the commissioner isn't in the top 50.
    But it says a lot that the owners don't have a problem kicking in about $1 mil per team for his salary. Figure it is tip money to them.

9. In what manner is he supposed to be objective, except among the owners that employ him?

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, who thinks he's objective?

And, as Michael said, the NFL can't grant him stock options. If he was the CEO of any other billion dollar company, that was experiencing the kind of growth the NFL is/has, he'd have earned millions in stock options.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Guess this means his wife Jane won't have to go back to being a TV anchor in Milwaukee.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

hey, it was common knowledge BEFORE this report that roger's salary was in the $8 million-$10 million range. i understand that these new numbers are markedly higher but it's not as if it affects his style of living... geez, i'm pretty sure anything his family needs was no problem at $8 million.

so why the astonishment/righteous indignation? it's sort of like the reaction folks have when the nfl's week-by-week sked is released every april and people pontificate on how tough every team's sked, based on cumulative previous season's record... heck, every team's opponents for next season are known at the end of regular season; the only ' new news' in april is the order of the games.

the nfl commish makes more $$$ all other commissioners. this is suddenly big news? he sits atop the sports league that makes the most $$$. stop those presses!! :eek: ::) ???

Draft saved Draft deleted