1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

goodell admits 'i didn't get it right'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Aug 28, 2014.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. I'm glad they got it right, but that doesn't fix the mistake. The league messed up badly and Goodell initially tried to stand by his decision before finally giving in. (And yes, most likely the owners told him to stand by it, then told him to cave.)

I couldn't care less about the Gordon comparison. That was a built in suspension dictated by the league policy. He knew what stage he was at and got busted again, anyway.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Roger and his friends want your money, they don't care about cheap plaudits.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I may be mistaken, but has Goodell now admitted a mistake and taken steps to fix it one more time than Bud Selig, David Stern and Gary Bettman combined?

Oh, I'm sorry. Bud made them bring more pitchers so he wouldn't stand out there looking like an ass after the 12th inning of an all-star game.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Heard someone today say, "I can't believe Matt Prater got suspended for a couple of beers." Well, I suppose if you ignore the multiple DUIs and the years he has spent in the league's substance abuse program that would seem a little harsh. Kind of like ignoring that Josh Gordon not only failed multiple drug tests but while waiting for his latest punishment got charged with a DUI. Roger Goodell's arrogance doesn't absolve grown men of taking responsibility for their lives and livelihoods, especially when the consequences are spelled out pretty fucking clearly.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

So did that stooge NFL head they trotted out that week also give an apology?

6. poindexter

from the letter:

"Much of the criticism stemmed from a fundamental recognition that the NFL is a leader, that we do stand for important values.."

What the fuck is that ginger bastard talking about? We look to the NFL for entertainment. Not to be a 'leader' in social issues. To say nothing of that phrase being wrong, its also so self-serving.

Goodell is the fucking worst.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

cant blame Goodell for this, only for continuing the canard that sports figures are worthwhile for opinions and real world problems like race relations, crime, human rights and politics.

For the most part, professional athletes and sports managment and ownership are ill equiped, ill informed and ill educated to answer questions and deliver rational and thoughtful opinions on current events, history and political topics. They are the 1% of income, sheltered and spoiled. And even those of dubious backgrounds and poor upbringing have spent the majority of their adult lives in the lap of luxury. Alan Iverson, for all his tough years thru high school, earned more than 98% of his classmates and their families. Athletes (99%) and their coaches (90%) are wholly undereducated and insufficently thoughtful to address questions concerning almost any subject that doesnt involve their profession.

Yet they are constantly asked, by journalists, or place themselves in positions to expound on events, reported by journalists, of subjects to which they are ignorant. They rarely, if ever, offer insightful comments other than platitudes or conventional sound and regurgitated as if they had an origina thought.

Don't blame Goodell when the fault lies with those who criticized the NFL's response to Rice's suspension by often stating that the NFL is a leader and needs to set an example. That athletes and sports have a duty to lead is utter non sense. These guys have unique and marketable skill set which can earn them wealth beyond the average doctor, lawyer and professor, but they are not a reservoir of intelligence and educated thought.

STOP TREATING THEM AS IF WHAT THEY SAY MATTERS if the subject goes beyond their sport.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Really? If it's just entertainment, why was there such a fuss over the punishment for Rice? Or anyone else for that matter? Are you going to scream for the next movie star who gets in trouble to be suspended for six films?

Wrongheaded as it may be, many people actually do look to the NFL and other sports leagues as leaders in social issues.

9. poindexter

Hell, no. *GOODELL* is the one running around with the suspensions boner... Do you not remember Bountygate - head coaches getting suspended for a year over a supposed $500 bounty.

*You* may look to the NFL to be a leader in social causes. I don't. I was interested in the Ray Rice item because Goodell is all over the board with his suspensions. Two was ridiculous when compared to so many others.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I didn't say I did. I didn't say you did. I'm saying there are many people out there who do.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Goodell suspended Roethlisberger for six games without charges or conviction.
    He flies by the seat of his pants. He has no system of governing.
    He is an assclown of the first order.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Maybe I missed it, but is there any indication that rice would have gotten the 6 games had the policy been in place? I see that you don't need a conviction, but the standard is pretty nebulous.

Draft saved Draft deleted