1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

goodell admits 'i didn't get it right'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Aug 28, 2014.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

At least nobody is calling him "the commish" on this thread.

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Goodell is a stooge but DeMaurice Smith is a far bigger fraud. Goodell is the mouthpiece of his employers and for the most part looks out for their interests. What has Dee Smith accomplished for his players?

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Still trying to figure out why he suspended a guy for an entire season over ... pot.

What, was Gordon trafficking kilos of it? I don't get it.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what Dee Smith has to do with this conversation but he's made some incremental progress and has the players better organized than I've ever seen. Certainly a far better executive director than Upshaw was.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I assume he means that Smith presided over the last CBA that allowed year-long suspensions for the miniscule amount of pot in Gordon's system (NFL's detection levels are much more stringent than WADAs), as well as the negative B sample.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I agree, but I think with Gordon, he's probably had so many knocks against him that it becomes a situation where after the third or fourth offense, that's the punishment.

I'll be curious what Gordon's next move is. I don't see him going off quietly for the next year. Some people think he's going to continue to fight it. Didn't the Minnesota lineman do something similar, although I don't think that was a yearlong suspension.

7. joe

joe Active Member

Gee, I bet that pretty severe public beating caused him to lose sleep at night. Typical fucking politician taking "responsibility" for a complete fucking fuck-up, which means dick to all the women he insulted with Ray Rice's slap on the wrist. Let's see him give half his exorbitant salary to combating domestic violence. Then he can get some "cred." Until then, he can STFU.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am genuinely curious. How would Roger Goodell giving away his salary, combat domestic violence? Money can make asshole men stop beating on women? And why should he give away half of his salary because Ray Rice knocked his girlfriend out?

Whether you think Goddell handed out enough of a suspension or not, Roger Goodell wasn't the guy caught on camera dragging an unconscious woman out of an elevator. All those women you are talking about don't need to fear Roger Goodell. He's not their probllem. Men like Ray Rice are. I don't think Goodell handled it well. I agree it is backward ass when guys who fail a drug test are penalized more severely than Ray Rice was. But I'd never have your level of vitriol for Goodell. Unless you want to rail against Goodell, the villain here was Ray Rice. No one else.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm just not on board with the "holy crap, the league didn't punish him enough!"

We have a problem with domestic violence not being criminalized often enough in our society, but I don't see it as the NFL's job to compensate.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm not impressed with the timing. Did he need to convene a committee or something? The initial outrage had died down enough in the news cycle so now he gets a day's worth of good publicity for "owning" it, blah blah. Please.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Giving people credit is unAmerican.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

have a cookie, rog

Draft saved Draft deleted