1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

goodell admits 'i didn't get it right'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Aug 28, 2014.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

corrects ray rice fumble loud and clear with strong new nfl domestic violence policy:

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/11425377/nfl-implements-domestic-violence-penalties

c'mon, everyone. take your best shot at goodell now. my boy's heart is in the right place.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Re: goodell gets it right

Not that hard a thing to get right the first time. No credit earned or deserved.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In case you're too lazy to hit the link:

1. First offense for "assault, battery, domestic violence or sexual assault" = 6-game suspension

2. Second offense = indefinite suspension, with possibility (but not guarantee) of reinstatement after one year

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

We're supposed to say what a wonderful thing this is after the way Goodell fucked up the situation on the first go-round? Please.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What a controversial stance for him to take. Where did he ever get the idea he didn't handle this right?

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I give the guy credit for admitting he screwed up the first time. Yes, he still deserves the ridicule from mucking it up in the first place. But once the mistake is made and it's realized, the best course of action is to own it and do what you can to not repeat the mistake. That was done here.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

what he most deserves 'cred' for is taking a pretty severe public beating a and not shying away from it. that's all I'm sayin'. those who will now give him no credit are never going to change how tey view goodell.

he was doomed to be damned if he did, damned if he didn't after taking the initial misstep. oh, well.

8. LongTimeListener

No, that's what Ray Rice's girlfriend deserves credit for.

Can't blame Goodell, though, it has to be hard to forget what he saw on the mean streets growing up.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The bad optics of the Gordon suspension expedited this reform.
    If he backs down from the 18-game schedule in the face of the league's health crisis, that would welcome support.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

His driver takes him past some bad neighborhoods on the way to Bronxville every night.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have a hard time standing up to applaud someone who fucked it up so badly the first time, but if he doesn't fuck up so badly on the Rice ruling, maybe the penalties aren't as harsh now.

I'm happy with the end result, but I won't give Goodell any credit for it.

12. LongTimeListener

He's a stooge anyway. He gets 30 million bucks a year to have good hair and do exactly what his puppetmasters tell him. Let's not act like he is overseeing some public trust here, he is a houseboy for the super-wealthy.

Draft saved Draft deleted