1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye U of Oregon wrestling and don't let the door hit you on the way out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nike U journalism folks like to think they have a reason to believe they aquired an excellent education. if this type of crap is taking place there, i have to wonder.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

A buddy of mine went to Maryland and has dealt with several Jayson Blair jokes.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

He didn't rip on any wrestlers. He said he doesn't like wrestling, mentioned that he broke his wrist wrestling in junior high, then tried poorly to tie that into the fact the Oregon wrestling takes up a basketball court used for pickup games.

It's a desperate stretch. But I've seen worse in student papers.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The creeping influence of The Sports Guy, in which everything is filtered through a prism of how it affects the oh-so-ultracool author.

Jeffrey, about your cruelly-aborted junior high school basketball career:

We Don't Fucking Care. Nobody Fucking Cares. Nobody Should Fucking Care.

5. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Not that this has anything to do with the topic at hand, but whenever I read Starman's signature I chuckle.

Oh, and keeping consistent with the Zit Faced Teen jokes:

"A belt, eh? No suspenders for you!"

6. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

That's a very shortsighted column.
    I'm from Iowa - one of the only hotbeds of high school and college wrestling - so I might have a biased opinion on this subject - but I think this writer has a very shallow and uninformed opinion of wrestling. It's one of the most physically demanding sports one can compete in, and instead of using his injury to form an informed opinion,the author has used it to form a rather baseless and emotional opinion.
    I'm no champion wrestler - I competed for 6 years in middle school and high school, and won a total of 10 matches (with the highlight being a JV tournament title) but loved every minute of the challenge and opportunity. I still wish I'd applied myself more to the sport (I had uncles who were state of Iowa champs and placewinners), but I've come to realize I just didn't have the talent.
    This guy just doesn't understand what it takes to wrestle, and I hope he either figures out what the sport means to those who compete in it - or his server crashes in the process.

7. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

That is awesome.
    This column is some epic FAIL.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Will he put "I don't cover wrestling" on his resume, or will that be a given once a prospective employer Googles his name and stumbles across this gem?

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

funny thing you ask? he kinda looks like a 103-pound grappler.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Wrestlers have been the only set of athletes who have truly scared me. Dudes are seriously jacked in the head. If I remember correctly, Oregon's program wasn't complete horse shit, and even if it was, methinks any person on the team can take Mr. Goatee boy here.
    I pray that he never ends up at the same party as three or four wrestlers. They might rip out his insides and use his skin as singlets.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Before I bag on the guy too much (and it's tempting) I have to think about all the "This happened, but it's really all about me" columns I've read by columnists that aren't students.

What I mean is the columns that are about how events, great and small, and the influences they had on the column writer. Some are done very well. But most are insipid "look at me" columns.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm not.

I actually was interested for the first few paragraphs when he was talking about attendance and fan apathy toward wrestling. I kept waiting for some facts to back it up, but then it dove into his junior-high wrestling injury. The tone of the article changed, and not for the better.

Draft saved Draft deleted