1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye to the last female columnist in New York

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mediator, Dec 7, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm not verklempt. And to be fair, I'm the furthest thing from a feminist on this board. Name me one time I've taken a pro-chick point of view.

This is not saying women should be represented at the cost of others. It's saying talking about the paucity of women's voices in a city that once had several not so long ago is not the worst thing in the world.

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I tried saying that very thing. I hate that good -- and sometimes great -- journalists everywhere are getting shown the door. Gender and race be damned.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Is Lisa working again yet? For my 50 cents she was the best columnist in NYC. Period. The NY Times screwed up if it didn't immediately offer her a gig.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Well, I can think of several major metropolitan markets where the columnists have no balls.

5. Mediator

Mediator Member

Har, Joe. I don't believe Lisa is working in print/online right now.

And like ijag said, I didn't start this thread to debate whether women and minorities should be promoted over women and minorities. I did it to lament the loss of the last woman writing sports columns in a major market.

I feel I can say with some certainty (although less this week than last) that we will never have to start a thread like this for white dudes.

Draft saved Draft deleted