1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye to the last female columnist in New York

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mediator, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm sad that Olson, Roberts and now Howard are gone, not because they're women, but because they're all great columnists.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'll admit it, I laughed like hell.

3. James307

James307 Member

I thoroughly enjoyed Selena Roberts' columns in the New York Times.
    And I currently enjoy Bonnie Ford's writing about cycling and tennis on ESPN.com. Christine Brennan at USA Today has her moments, too.

But on several occasions through the years, columnists and sports editors were hired at newspapers where I was employed simply because of their gender or race and not because they were the best candidates. It wasn't fair then and it's not fair now.

What happens, I think, is that talented columnists "of color" or "ethnic diversity" or "gender whatever" are grouped with others as "minority columnists." What purpose does that serve?

The departure of women columnists from New York is part of what's happening at-large in the newspaper business. It's not a different matter.

I certainly didn't see any designation about all the other columnists who have taken been fired or accepted buyouts as "middle age white guys" or "men columnists."

It's the big picture that's sad, not the fact that it's one particular group or segment of journalists.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Girl, not child...

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

While your overall point is well-taken ... layoffs do not make an exception for gender or race or any other trait ... what don't people get about the fact that the majority is not allowed to whine about not being a minority?

Of course nobody ever points out "middle-aged white guys" or "men columnists." That's because the entire fucking world of sports journalism is made up of those demographics, with very few exceptions. Suck it up!

Being white or male is not going to automatically ensure you get a good job (although something like 93 percent of this business is white and male.) It's not necessarily going to make you rich. (although women make 77 cents on the dollar compared with men, and whites generally make more than racial minorities, too.) And the real demographic advantage is always, always one of economic background over any other factor.

But if you don't think being white or male has been an inherent advantage in this country, you don't know what you're talking about. There are no hardships to being white or male in this business. None.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

And in the big picture, there's an entire segment of the population that is no longer being represented in a columnist's position in the Big Apple.

7. James307

James307 Member

I completely disagree.

Been passed over a few times because I wasn't the best hire based on seniority and talent.

Been past over an equal number of times when I was the best hire and the job was awarded to a woman, Asian and African American. None of the three worked out.

Got hired as a columnist once because I was the best candidate.

I guess I should consider myself fortunate.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm considerably more concerned about ANY positions being downsized than I am about specific subgroups of the profession being downsized.

9. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

P.S. Newsday can't really be serious about going without sports columnists, can they? I have to think they will promote a couple of staff writers and do it on the cheap after clearing payroll. Powell and Howard could easily wind up at ESPN.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Seconded, for the record.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Would it be notable if there were no more male columnists in New York (or any other market)?

12. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Well, but that's not going to happen because ... because ... it would just be wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted