1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye Mike Francesa: The Most Loved (and Hated) Broadcaster in New York

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deepest_background, Dec 14, 2017.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

You think Mike is going to quit after two years? His ego won't allow for it.

I don't think he ever wanted to quit, I think he figured someone would come along and offer more -- but that ain't happening in radio anymore. He was making $3 million? You gotta be kidding me ...

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I would rather have Rizzuto read the ingredients on a box of cereal than anything that Jyawnnn/Suzyn have to say.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Mike Franceser‏ @MikeFrancesaNY 24h24 hours ago

Youah guys remembah when Clemens was in Steinbrennahs box? Let’s just say I’m in Charnawfs office and WFAN needs an ace, ok

24 replies 215 retweets 698 likes

lcjjdnh likes this.
  4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

They saw how well things worked out for NBC, with Leno and Conan, and decided they wanted in.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Did the replacements have a terrible book?
    Why did he retire in the first place? WFAN wouldn't give him what he wanted and now he's willing to take their offer?

This won't end well (if it ended well the first time around). Sports fans make like him, but they are sports fans - and this is a BS move.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Next, we can get a new YouTube video of Francesca at the Vietnam War.

"You know those Viet Cong don't hava chance. Westmowland is too tough for dem. Now, I'mma gonna tell ya somethin' to remember. Domino Theory. We win this war, the Russians will give up, the Chinese will give up, the North Koreans will finally give up."

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I hate the Yankees but I grew up in the nyc market and I loved listening to rizzuto, Bill white, frank messer and Bobby Mercer. Ken Singleton, however, bites the big one.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I like Kenny Singleton. I don't see how you could have been OK with Bill White and not be OK with Singleton. I see kind of similar styles. Laid-back color commentary (actually, a hybrid color / play-by-play thing for the Yankees broadcasts), both amiable and kind of gentlemanly.

I grew up with Rizzuto. If you are a Yankees fan, he's beloved, but um, yeah. ... He wasn't Sterling bad, because Rizzuto had an endearing quality that Sterling doesn't have. But there were times that runners were circling the bases like they were on a merry-go-round, and he'd be 10 minutes into a story about a cannoli he had eaten the day before or wishing happy birthdays to every Edna in New Jersey.

I recently was playing some Youtube clips of Vin Scully for Ms. Ragu, to show her how great he was, and then for comparison sake, I found some of Rizzuto being Rizzuto. She got the point immediately, although the "Holy cow"s made her laugh. She has a Rizzuto-like uncle in France who interjects, "Ooooh la vache!" into every conversation.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

LOL.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/24/ugly-carlin-texts-big-pay-cut-behind-mike-francesas-wfan-return/

According to the former WFAN host and now Don Imus replacement, WABC’s Sid Rosenberg, not being home is one of the reasons that Francesa is coming back.

“He crawled back to WFAN because he came to the realization, I don’t want to be home with Roe and my three kids,” Rosenberg said in a phone interview, referencing Francesa’s wife. “He is only in his early 60s. He is not Imus’ age. He is not 77 so he wants to work, he wants to make some money. He has a very lavish lifestyle. He doesn’t want to be home with his wife and kids.”

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

It's funny how Sid has made himself into the go to analyst on this by being willing to say whatever he wants on the record.

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

My favourite Rizzutoism was his inability to know how far a ball was going to carry. I swear to God, I remember what I thought was a home-run call and the ball was caught by the shortstop.

Draft saved Draft deleted