1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye Mike Francesa: The Most Loved (and Hated) Broadcaster in New York

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deepest_background, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

To be fair, Steiner was terrible in NY. Totally mailed it in. Maybe something was going on in his life, I don't want to kill the guy but he sounded like he'd rather be doing anything than watching baseball (or talking to John).

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

How did Rex Hudler go over there? BTW, I always associate Gubicza with Kansas City.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He was hit and miss. A lot of people (including me) loved him. He is a quirky character you want for a long, boring-ass baseball season. I think his act wore thin on many people as well. And when he got caught with some weed at an airport, his time was done soon after (my theory).

I associate Gubicza with KC. He came to Anaheim and pitched 4.2 innings as his last stop. How he remains here is a complete mystery. He still associates himself with KC. When Ohtani hit that triple in KC, the first words out of Guicza's mouth was a reference to Willie Wilson.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I beg someone on a nightly basis to take Hudler and Psychoiociocioc off our hands.
    I weep for Ryan Lefebvre.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Sterling and Suzyn's job is to drink the Kool Aid and sell it to others. They are horrific.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

It bothers me that to my kids, they are the voice of the Yankees. I guess some might have felt that way about Rizzuto.

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

The Mets, for all of the franchise's faults, have usually had an A+ radio team.

lcjjdnh likes this.
  8. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

And currently a great TV team, too.

9. lcjjdnh

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Such a Francesa thing to do. And seems to be kind a panic move by management. I’d say the whole thing was staged, but they shelled out some bucks for the replacement team. I haven’t listened much, but the reviews have not been kind.

And the Yankee tv and radio folks look even worse compared to the Mets. Especially on the tv side. Cohen, Darling and Hernandez are tremendous.

playthrough and lcjjdnh like this.
  11. lcjjdnh

What exactly is the FAN's long-term plan? Big Mike for another year or two and then what? Won't they be in the exact same position? They had plenty of time to plan for the retirement, and many potential hosts turned them down. But maybe they just want to try to wring out a couple years of additional profits from Mike and worry about it then.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

O'Brien is a damn good broadcaster. Unfortunately he's got the weight that is Jerry Remy around his neck for 100 or so games. At least it's not 150 anymore. Castiglione is just ... Castiglione.

Also: Sterling has a call-in show? I have to listen to that. Amazing.

I think the Fan taking Francesa back also has to do with the new ownership. Entercom is a little more happy with the trigger finger than CBS.

Draft saved Draft deleted