1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye June Cleaver...Barbara Billingsley dies at 94

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Here's the scene:

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

CBC, CTV, Channel 7 in Buffalo (Fire in Tonawanda!!! Film at Eleven!!!) which was an ABC affiliate and I guess NBC and CBS.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Pete, I ran across this as I was watching the YouTube clip. The Zuckers, Abrams, and the two jive guys, Al White and Norman Gibbs, explained how they used jive in the movie:

4. Pete Incaviglia

That's pretty cool. Thanks for that. I love how the writers "had to apologize" for what they had written.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I often watched that show when I was growing up.
    One of my favorite episodes was when the husky, dense, football team star (Moose?) was getting a scholarship to "State U.," I think it was.

RIP, June Cleaver.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I used to watch the old reruns of "Beaver", too. My favorite episode was when Beaver gets invited to a birthday party by a girl and agrees, only later finds out that he was the only boy invited. Beaver tries to back out, but Ward and June make him go.

Then the parents find out why Beaver didn't want to go, and were feeling horribly. Meanwhile at the party, Beaver was having a lousy time until the girl's dad sees him miserable and brings him into his study to show off his gun collection (imagine that today).

Then Beave comes home, parents are all worried, and Beaver says that he had a great time because Mr. Girl's father (whatever his name) was a really swell guy.

7. Pete Incaviglia

For whatever reason I really remember the one where the Beaver gets stuck in the coffee cup billboard. I have no idea why that stands out to me.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

I remember that one most, along with the one where Beaver is afraid to go on the roller coaster at the amusement park. Douchebag Eddie, of course, teases the shit out of him. And, of course, Beaver ends up loving the coaster while Douchebag Eddie is scared shitless and sick.

Oh, and the one where Wally and Beaver use barrel rings to set a trap for Lumpy but catch Fred instead.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That's priceless that when the jive guys are speaking English, they are subtitled in jive.

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I couldn't stop laughing reading the subtitles in jive.

Of course, this brings up Airplane II when Jive Guy #2 takes the stand in defense of Ted Striker.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I couldn't figure out the name so I looked it up.
    It was Lumpy who got the football scholarship.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Does anyone remember the Mork and Mindy episode where Mindy was sent to jail for not revealing a source and she was in the holding pen with --- Barbara Billingsly -- who was playing a woman who had killed her husband with an ax. When Mork came to visit her, Mindy said, "get me out of here ... I'm in jail with an ax murderer. " To which Mork said, "aw, come on Monday ... she looks just like Mrs. Cleaver."

Draft saved Draft deleted