1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye Joe - You Gotta Go !

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jul 25, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Has Lieberman run out of Joe-mentum?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sorry, couldn't get the Lamont image out of my head:

[​IMG]

I don't see how Lie-berman can win as an independent the second time, if Lamont beats him soundly the first time. The GOP candidate is weak, I understand that. But wouldn't the GOP guy (don't know his name) and Lie-berman split those votes, thereby helping Lamont?

As somebody else (EDIT: Boom) said, Connecticut is predominately a Democrat state. I would expect the preponderance of the Dems would back Lamont, while the rest of the state would regard Lie-berman as lower than dioxin ooze in Bridgeport for trying to hold the seat.

Fascinating as this race is, it's only one of 33 in the Senate. Actually, JL and Chafee both losing might be a wash.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here is a funny twist- some of my republican friends are giving money to Lamont - figuring that if he wins it will futher ruin up the democratic party. Interesting idea.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's kind of what I was saying.

Regardless, if Lamont wins next Tuesday, and by a sizeable margin, what could JL do to reverse his fortunes in November?

(If it was a close primary, I could see Lie-berman running strong in the general, and it may happen yet.)

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The reason why someone can win as an independent is this which I pulled off of the web:

According to the most recent statistics at the Secretary of the State's Office, Connecticut has 931,366 registered independents, 700,876 registered Democrats, 455,420 registered Republicans, and 4,584 registered minor-party voters.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

FB,

I guess I was thrown off by your use of the word 'split.' Here's what could happen:

Lamont beats Joe in the primary (one poll I saw on MSNBC last week had Lamont leading by 15%).

In the general, Joe gets the entire Republican vote, GOP guy gets nothing. Joe and Lamont split the Indies and the Dems. Keep in mind, it's a blue state.

I think Joe wins that race by a hair.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Brownback's a hopeless reactionary. If this country buys that guy, game over.

8. BH -
    Brownback's done god's work on Darfur.
    Everything else he does has little birdies flying around its head, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted