1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye Joe - You Gotta Go !

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You talked during the no-hitter, and now it's jinxed. Dammit, Jonesy. :D

2. dog428

dog428 Active Member

No, it's still civil. That exchange wasn't political. It doesn't count. And I'm finished feeding the trolls on this thread, so we can move along. Sorry for the blip.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Ah, but dog, how do you know I know you only by a screen name?

I do need some meds. My stomach is a little off.

4. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Hell, I'm going to piss in the cornflakes and mess up a civilized political debate.
    I don't like Holy Joe at all. He reminds me of an 80 year old spinster librarian, with his crusades against video games and violent movies. Gore just selected him as VP to make people forget about Monica Lewinsky. Plus Lieberman made some dumb, dumb remarks about Iraq -- like having a super rosy vision about how well things were going over there...stuff that made folks from The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal who had just gotten back from there drop their jaws in disbelief. Bottom line, democracy will survive if folks in Conn. vote him out.
    I mean, you want to talk about moderate guys with principles, you can do a lot better than Joe Lieberman. McCain, Sen. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska, former Sen. Warren Rudman of New Hampshire, former Sen. Bob Kerry of Nebraska...those are good guys.

5. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I don't so much have a problem with the Dems taking issue with the things Lieberman is saying. I have an issue with the bitching and moaning that takes place every time some member of either party stands up and actually voices their opinion, party be damned.

I'm just tired of the partisan shit. I mean, I'm on here quite a bit arguing with Republicans, but at the same time, I've never argued for something I didn't believe in or against something simply because a Republican member of this board stated it. That would be silly. And yet, we've got elected leaders doing that exact same shit day in and day out in the real world, not on some anonymous message board.

That's my issue -- that no one is allowed to have an original idea unless that original idea has been run through party headquarters and the upper management has signed off on it.

6. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I don't know how it can possibly be said that Lieberman is "being run out on a rail" by the Democrats when Bill Clinton, Chris Dodd and Barbara Boxer are stumping for him, and Harry Reid is, I believe, on record as supporting him in the primary.

I'd prefer to let the voters of Connecticut decide. But that's just me.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Gore was done 12/ 19 /98 with this statement:

"What happened as a result does a great disservice to a man I believe will be regarded in the history books as one of our greatest presidents," Gore said, a phalanx of Democratic House members cheering behind him.

There was just no way to back track after that. When he tried to distance himself from Clinton that quote kept showing up.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Nice ploy, dogplop, but you're a partisan piece of crap, and everyone knows it.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Do you suppose the "You're with me, Leather' girl realizes she could have been an American hero if she had just spoken up in a timely manner?

10.  Joltin' Joe should be excoriated (and retired) for his support of Bush's folly.  Partisanship isn't the problem I see, though.  The problem is the Democrats will criticize Lieberman but are still afraid to stand up and take on Bush, hjs crowd and the war.  They're so afraid of offending swing voters and having Karl Rove photo shop Neville Chamberlain umbrellas onto their pictures that they won't tell it like it is.  It's like ripping Jason Varitek for Pedro staying in the game too long and giving Grady Little a free pass.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I really don't understand what would be so appealing about a ticket with the two guys in Washington D.C. who still think the war in Iraq is going swimmingly and that the President is doing a heckuva job. I've got no problem with crossing party lines, but both of these guys have made a career out of doing so - and they do it for political advantage. McCain has something like a 95% rate of voting with the President. He's done so on every important vote, yet he's known as the "Maverick". McCain's only true stand against Bush was the tortute statute, and that was finally passed on a compromise before Bush delegitimized it with a signing statement that said he could do whatever he wants.

For the past decade plus, Lieberman has been a Democrat in name only. The point noted about Gore's selection of him as Veep is excellent. He sanctimoniously adopted republican talking points on the Clinton BJ, sided with the current President and gave him bi-partisan cover on Iraq, and had to be called on the carpet last year for six months before he finally took a stand against privatizing Social Security. These are core Dem issues we're talking about. And, as was also noted earlier, he still has the Clintons stumping for him and Chuck Schumer refusing to say he's support the winner of the Democratic primary. This is hardly being thrown under the bus by establishment Dems.

They're about protecting the incumbent first and foremost. So if you want to talk about politics as usual, it's Joe Lieberman.

Draft saved Draft deleted