1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye Joe - You Gotta Go !

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jul 25, 2006.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I'm, obviously, from SC and am surprised/amazed/bewildered/impressed by how well he's been received here. And I understand where you're coming from and agree 100 percent. On the other hand, I think it's one thing to succeed here when it was pretty well established he was the only hope for winning his seat and another thing to be a part of a presidential ticket.

/admitted republican

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

Your point is well taken, Col. Mustardbased, although I'd like to think that McCain has probably already lost the folks he would lose if he picked Graham as his running mate.

You know, it just struck me: Is this a civilized political debate unfolding on SportsJournalists.com?

Sticky this thread.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

McCain would be the only guy that could get away with it, I'd think. And that would be because either:

1) The Republicans, in a panic, let him do whatever he wants because they feel he is their only hope of winning.
    or
    2) McCain tries the independent route, in which case he tabs whoever he damn well pleases.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The only reason JL was on the Dem ticket in '00 in the first place was because Gore overestimated the Clinton BJ backlash effect and JL was a critic. Big mistake.

Don't forget the Dems gained 5 seats in the midst of the Monica uproar in the House. Gore did. He sought to distance himself from a president whose popularity transcended the human humidor. So he loses his home state AND Clinton's,(either of which would've won him the WH), and here we are today.

F Al Gore and F Joe Lieberman. Their incompetent campaign, and to a lesser extent (bc most of the damage was done already) Kerry/Edwards', are the reason we are stuck with Dear Leader till 2009 ... That is, if he doesn't declare himself Prez-4-Life in 2008.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Whew. Thought this post was about Joe Rogan. Now that's a fear!

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

All good Republicrats get a kiss from King George.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

We're in agreement. That's scary.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Mentioned this on another thread a few days ago, but since you brought it up....

A total skewering of Lieberman in the current New Yorker by Hertzberg in the Talk of the Town, basically saying he's a traitor to his party....can't find a link, but it's the July 24th issue.

9. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

I'm an Indie and I think Joe is getting railed on this one. The Senate was originally concieved as a collection of "thinkers" and given 6 year terms so as not to beholden to partisianship or local politics (as opposed to the 2 yr House - the locals in today slang, a concecsion to Jefferson politicos). What we need are senators not afraid to voice their opinion.

10. dog428

dog428 Active Member

What I love about this whole thing is that a week from now some jackass Democrat will stand up and go on and on and on about partisan politics and just how unbelievably awful it is.

I'm so tired of this partisan shit. If you're an elected leader and you can't see from the last six years just how poorly this country operates when the system runs straight down party lines, you shouldn't be allowed on a ticket for anything. It would not bother me at all if a law was passed which prohibited both Congress and the White House being controlled by the same party. Yeah, that often leads to an abundance of public pissing matches, but at the same time, it eliminates a lot of really dumbass ideas from sliding through and helps some really good ideas see the light of day.

Every now and then, the guy on the other side of the aisle does come up with a decent plan. It sure would be nice if we had people in charge who could recognize that.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I'm disappointed, dog. You didn't say a single thing I could rip, and I couldn't unveil my new name for you.

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

The fact that you have spent time away from this board thinking up a "name" for someone who you know only by a screen name should be a strong indication that you should either a) Get a life, b) up the meds, or c) Both of the above.

Draft saved Draft deleted