1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye fantasy baseball?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oggiedoggie, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Attorneys representing Major League Baseball argued Thursday that online fantasy baseball companies cannot operate without paying license fees to MLB to compensate players for the use of their names.

A federal appeals panel of three judges seemed skeptical that MLB could take financial control of a game that uses publicly available statistics and widely known names of players.

"MLB is like a public religion. Everyone knows (the players') names and what they look like," said U.S. Judge Morris Arnold. "This is just part of being an American, isn't it?"

From: http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8POOORO1.htm

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I don't play fantasy baseball, but stories like this make me angry.

To me, it's in the same vein as yesterday's announcement that At&T will spy on its Internet users to see if they are downloading copyrighted material.

This is really starting to become a really shitty country.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This battle has been going on for a while. A number of online fantasy baseball sites went out of business in the initial push.

The worst that will likely happen is the end of free services like Yahoo and higher rates for the ones that choose to stay in business. The game won't go away, but it will get more expensive if MLB gets its way.

If they are dumb enough to wipe these companies out altogether, they are just going to hurt interest in the game.

4. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Wow, they're really going to bark up this tree again?

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

MLB has seemingly tried this for years and won't get anywhere. Fuck Bud Light.

6. outofplace

It never stopped, Mert....the process just takes a while. I'm amazed that the NFL hasn't done this, too.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think this actually has to do more with the MLBPA than the used car salesman.

That said, I don't understand how they can limit the use of these players names considering how widely they are embedded in the public domain. Perhaps they can keep the fantasy companies from using their images, or using their names and images in advertisements, but really, their names are so widely disseminated as it is, I don't think they should be able to stop it.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've been playing fantasy baseball since I was a sophomore in high school (1998). I don't remember a baseball season where I haven't been in at least one league.

I think, if anything, the game draws in more fans because of it. How many borderline fans are going to sit and watch a three-hour game for pure enjoyment and the art of the sport? Now how many of those borderline fans are going to tune into a Red Sox game to track David Ortiz or Curt Schilling?

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Unlike MLB, the NFL never seems to anger its own fans with actions like this.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Why MLB would screw with fantasy for a few lousy licensing bucks is beyond me. Absolutely, fantasy is good for the sport. And any other sport.

Yet I wouldn't shed a tear over online sites getting whacked. The last time I was in a fantasy league was when a league commish actually had spreadsheets and had to input weekly stat updates into a computer (I know, I know, the Stone Age). Players had to get together in person to draft (and drink) rather than do auto-drafts online. So much more personable and fun.

11. outofplace

True...it is the teams that do assinine shit like this, such as selling personal seat liscenses and charging to watch scrimmages and practices in preseason.

And playthrough, as somebody who is in three leagues with online drafts...I'm so glad you would be happy if so many of the rest of us lost something we would enjoy. ::)

I've been with basically the same group of people in one league or another for eight years. Half of us are within about 45 minutes of one another. The other half is scattered about the country. I know it would be a big loss for us if there were no online sites available.

And somewhere, spnited is reading this thread title and praying that it would be so. :)

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I really don't see how they have a case.

The sites merely compile public information.

Draft saved Draft deleted