1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye Dixie, with love ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by three_bags_full, Nov 10, 2009.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Ok, so, to rephrase the question, how is it not a statement of intolerance?

Surely just because it's a thought or an opinion doesn't automatically mean it cannot be intolerant?

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Is it intolerant when JR calls people who believe in creationism anti-intellectual?

How about when he calls people who don't buy the "global warming is man mand" bullshit anti-intellectual?

Are those statements of intolerance?

Are you going to speak out against those kinds of statements?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just as long as they don't express sympathy with muslim extremists, they can say whatever they want.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You're not answering the question.

5. zagoshe

Neither are you.......

6. zagoshe

They can say whatever they want to say, too -- just don't start blowing shit up.....

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I believe my question had nothing to do with JR, and in fact to do with the topic of the thread. And since I asked first, I believe you need to answer.

8. zagoshe

I don't know if it is intolerant or tolerant - and it is not my place to judge as much.

Further, shouting "the south can rise again" or whatever the hell it is can mean a lot of things, so unless you or anyone else has polled every single person who was shouting it to see what they mean, well, I'm not sure how you could possibly know whether it is tolerant or intolerant.

And my question was a general one aimed to illustrate your hypocrisy using JR's intolerance as the specific example.......

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Weasled your way out of that pretty well, didn't you? The "You and I don't know what they mean when they say that," defense.

Last time I checked, no-one got strung up for denying the existence of global warming, or for their belief in creationism, unless you can point to some examples I'm not aware of.

If you can't, I would suggest you discontinue making completely false comparisons.

10. zagoshe

What in the world are you talking about?

Did you poll every person shouting "the south shall rise again?"

If you didn't, I would suggest you stop making completely false assumptions.

11. zagoshe

But back to this little gem....

BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT WE DO HERE IN AMERICA, THE LAND OF THE FREE.

You do not have the right to never be offended in a free society which values freedom of speech and expression as much as we do here.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

JR, you never have anything good to say about America, but you're concerned about "our" universities. You're not American, and I don't have to tolerate you. So STFU.

Draft saved Draft deleted