1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye Dixie, with love ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by three_bags_full, Nov 10, 2009.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

that is asinine. if they stopped playing the song and students decided to chant "Penn State sucks" did they have campus police asking for student ids and/or ejecting them.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

As far as I know, Missouri won't start the M-I-Z-Z-O-U chant when KU comes to town for basketball, because it gets turned into MIZ-fuck KU. Not that the refrain doesn't echo throughout the building often.

And for some reason, Dwight Yoakum's "I sang Dixie as he died" song echoed through my head at this thread title

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

FIXED

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I hate to tell you this but tolerance isn't a two way street.

If you want to spout racist, homophobic and sexist views, then guess what, I don't have to be tolerant of your intolerance. All opinions are not created equal.

Idiot America has no standing in a university no matter how loudly they scream.

5. zagoshe

I have news for you - Idiot America is running most universities these days.

And tolerance is indeed a two-way street and the idea that some tight-assed politically correct pinheads think they get to frame every discussion and make the rules about what is and isn't offensive is a sympton of everything that is wrong with this country.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Someone is going to have to explain to me how a group of people chanting 'The South Will Rise Again' in the middle of a song called "From Dixie With Love" is a statement of tolerance...

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yes, because I should be tolerant of racists --along with the anti-intellectual crew who believe that dinosaurs and man existed together, that global warming is a hoax and that Hussein had WMD's.

Idiot America can believe anything it wants. Just keep it out of our universities.

8. zagoshe

It is not a statement of tolerance.

The statement of tolerance is people who don't like what is being said understanding the fact that they have the right to say it and respecting said right - the same way we're expected to respect every crackpot piece of kookacracy that is spewed from the pinheads claiming to be the authority on what is and what is not acceptable speech.......

9. zagoshe

And I'll say it again -- our universities are being run by Idiot America.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And the Ole Miss students can chant it to their little hearts' content. The school doesn't have to provide them the forum.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So if it's a statement of intolerance, why should it be tolerated?

12. zagoshe

It is not a statement of intolerance, either.

It is one group of students thoughts and opinions, nothing more and nothing less.

Draft saved Draft deleted