1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye Dixie, with love ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by three_bags_full, Nov 10, 2009.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

This is correct. It caught on either near the end of the Cutcliffe era or the first Orgeron year. I honestly can't remember.

I like the move. I've said for several years now that it was the ultimate in hypocrisy to allow it to go on as long as it did. Khayat let it go on too long and missed a good chance to fix it before he left.

I always thought it was a slap in the face to the James Meredith statue that sits only 300 yards from the stadium and the ideals for which the William Winter Center for Racial Reconciliation stands.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

No the ultimate hypocrisy is to say you are a place of a free exchange of ideas and a place of diversity and place where people learn to meet and deal with people of different cultures, backgrounds and beliefs - then shouting one group down when you don't like what they say.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

WFFW.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I still have the video of the final game at Pitt Stadium when the alumni and marching bands ran onto the field one last time and played the fight song pregame. The sound of 60,000 chanting "Penn State sucks" still makes me laugh.

5. zagoshe

Was that the game where Rod Rutherford, like 150 pounds less than he was during his junior and senior year, ran for a long touchdown and Pitt pitched a shutout?

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Haven't heard of Duke banning their fight song because the students ad-lib "Carolina eat shit."

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Or, they could be typical kids and do it just because an adult asked them to stop.
    By the way, are any historically black college bands going to be asked to stop doing covers of rap songs that are offensive to women, gays and the police? Some of their covers are of songs with such content.
    I won't hold my breath.

8. zagoshe

That's because they are elitists and racists at that school [\black strippers and Al Sharpton]

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Close. Last game at Pitt Stadium was NOv., 1999 against Notre Dame. Pitt pitched the 12-0 shutout in Sept. 2000 at Three Rivers, where they played one season before moving into Heinz Field.

10. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

Well, I guess if those schools' choice of music is offensive, then it's OK for Ole Miss to be as well? Or perhaps, Ole Miss would like to behave more rationally and be seen as a more welcoming and inclusive place, especially considering its past and the state's once-ugly reputation. I know they're just ignorant kids who don't want to do what they're told, but the school doesn't benefit from this behavior, so maybe these kids could have been mature and responsible enough to take that into consideration.

11. zagoshe

Or perhaps every individual has a different idea of what is and what is not offensive and the beauty of this country is that you do not have a right to never be offended, regardless of how many times the politically correct academic pinheads try to brainwash college kids with their elitist garbaleygook......

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ah, the old "politically correct" defense, the last refuge of those who want to defend racist, homophobic & sexist comments.

Draft saved Draft deleted