1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye Dixie, with love ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by three_bags_full, Nov 10, 2009.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The new Ole Miss chancellor has banned From Dixie With Love because the students couldn't help themselves with the "the South will rise again" chant.

He warned them, and apparently they showed up at the game last week just long enough to say it ... then left.

Classy bunch down at my alma mater.

Here's the story from the Commercial Appeal.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

They went all out with that four graph article.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Oh fuck - what the fuck is wrong with this country.

The wussification of America by politically correct pinheads is complete.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Pitt did a similar thing in 2000 when they deleted the chorus from the fight song because the students had changed "Fight, Pitt, Fight" to "Penn State sucks."

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't understand "the South will rise again" - is it down? I thought it was dumb when Washington banned their band from playing Tequila, I think it's dumb when people get offended by people toting Mexican flags or ban "french fries" because their peeved at France. Getting rid of the song won't eliminate the baggage Ole Miss has. I'd recommend adding another school song, perhaps a kick-ass blues number that might reflect other parts of the state's history.

7. zagoshe

Yes, universities are where kids go to learn, expand their horizons, learn how to meet people, expand on their world view, meet people with different views and from different experiences -- until some pinhead in charge makes a ridiculous decision like this.

8. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I don't mind him doing it because apparently the "South Will Rise Again!" chant isn't a longstanding tradition. For some reason, it's just caught on among some students over the past few years. (according to what I've read about the situation.)

9. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I agree, I think he's thinking long-term here, and the comment is offensive to some (for good reason). Don't think it benefits Ole Miss in any way, certainly not in recruiting, so one would hope adult-age college students would have the respect to back off of it when asked.

10. zagoshe

Once again "we want this to be a place of free expression, free thought and a marketplace of ideas and diversity......unless you want to say something that we deem to be politically incorrect or too conservative..."

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

But Penn State did suck.

12. zagoshe

FIXED

Draft saved Draft deleted