1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye Cathy the whining cartoon

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oggiedoggie, Aug 11, 2010.

1. +1

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I did not know that Universal Press Syndicate is now known as Universal Uclick. What a shitty new name. Depressing.

3. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

In junior high, our sex ed teacher ( a priest) told us to home and find an example of sexism in the newspaper that night. He suggested we look in the comic strip Cathy. Thankfully, that was the worse thing that ever happened with that priest.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Bubs, perhaps it is Cathy's lack of a nose that gives you the idea that, aerodynamically, she would be made for cunnilingus.

5. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Met her once. Her dad was best friends with my boss from Army days. She was very nice, talked for a long time and actually a very interesting person. Not at all like her character. Not a big fan of the strip, but it had its place.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

"Ack!"

Poor traumatized Electra - probably has canine PTSD from her human mommy.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It was awesome when Bloom County portrayed Cathy Guisiwite as a Communist revolutionary. Anyhoo, I used to read it all the time, when it still had relevance to women's changing roles. The few times I've read it lately, it's unreadable, slightly more so than Doonesbury. Comic strips, I guess, have a certain shelf life before losing mojo

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I find it quite humorous that your sex ed teacher was a priest. On several levels.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Don't laugh, cyclingwriter's lawsuit against the archdiocese has him set for life

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Perhaps the last comic-page word I ever read.

11. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

People are staring at me now for laughing at that. And I don't want to explain to them why...

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Even if I were interested in reading it, there is so much type in the word bubbles and the comic have shrunk so much to fit smaller newspapers, it would be a chore to try to read it.

Plus, it's not funny and Irving is a wimp.

Draft saved Draft deleted