1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye Billy Hunter!!....Hello Derek Fisher Conquering Hero???

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Apr 25, 2012.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I am guessing there was a reason for an audit?

http://tracking.si.com/2012/04/25/report-billy-hunter-tried-to-invest-nbpas-millions-in-sons-failing-bank/?sct=hp_t2_a9&eref=sihp

Like where's all our money Billy?

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm so glad this is all coming out. Here's the Wojnarowski story that's referenced:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nbpa-executive-director-billy-hunter-sought-union-investment-for-bank-with-ties-to-son.html

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Why would Derek Fisher be the conquering hero? According to the Woj story, he had the power to let Garrity stay and speak but decided being a eunuch and keeping the peace with Hunter was the better angle.

Knowing this kind of crap was going on with the union, I care even less than I did about the supposedly raw deal they got. And I'm sure the league negotiators also knew what a bunch of amateurs they were dealing with.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Is there a better sports reporter at covering his beat these days than Woj?

I'm partial since I'm an acquaintance, but I can't think of anyone who is batting better than him lately.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I was initially wondering the same thing when Fisher did not stand up for Garrity but I think Fisher looks like the hero because he finally called for the audit, better late than sorry I figure. Maybe hero's too much. Whistleblower?

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

To add, Fisher may have seen or followed enough of the paper trail to finally realize that Garrity was on to something. Derek may have thought Garrity's accusations had little to stand on, which is why Garrity got roasted and thrown under the bus. What Derek didn't know then, he knows now, by following the paper trail that Garrity followed.

Draft saved Draft deleted