1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye, Anna Quindlen

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Babyjay, May 6, 2009.

1. Babyjay

Babyjay Member

She wrote a great column this week announcing she's leaving Newsweek. http://www.mjleague.org/

Also, editor's note says next issue unveils the "rethought, reinvented" Newsweek. I'm already scared.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Bad heading. I thought she died.

How about, "Anna Quindlen leaves Newsweek."

3. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

A few yrs ago, the governor of Colorado said old people should just hurry up and die. Now Quindlen's putting it in journalistic terms. Personally, I'm opposed to both ideas.

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I was bummed when I saw it. I love her take on life.
    I, too, am scared of the Newsweek relaunch. Every time I read about it, no matter how they parse it, it seems to me they're taking the relevance away. They're not going to follow breaking news. They're not going to send their teams to the hot stories. OK. So. Where's the news? Are they just going to ignore the world and write what the want, when they want? I'm their target audience and a long-time subscriber. That's not what I want.

5. Remember who owns Newsweek.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who got a link to a site for a little league?

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Nope, I did too.

So, either Babyjay has a kid who plays in a random Tennessee Little League or he covers it or he coaches it, or something.

The old I-forgot-to-make-sure-I-had-the-right-thing-on-my-Windows-clipboard-before-I-hit-Ctrl-V.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I had renewed Newsweek just before hearing about their new reinvention plans. I called to request a refund and the woman working the phone from circulation could not have been nicer about it. So they've got that going for them.

9. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I think mine is usually up in the fall.. so I'll have a little time to decide to jetison. I've taken it for so long. What am I going to do when there are no magazines worth reading?

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I dropped my subscription a year or so ago. Too many religion covers the last few years.

11. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

Like now?

I will sorely miss Anna...the back page with her and George Will was a pleasure to read...

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

If they don't replace her well or subsequently drop George Will, I will strangle Jon Meacham myself.

Draft saved Draft deleted