1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good way to bring up bullying or does this TV anchor make a story about them?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

So funny.. I assumed the emailer was a woman.

2. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Yes. I think that's my real problem with this.

It's a complex case: Yes, obesity is a major problem in the USA, but at the same time, dropping weight doesn't haven't to be a higher priority than work and parenting.

All that said, now that I've seen this dude's photo AND I know he's a personal-injury lawyer, I'd say he probably IS a bully. Or at least a douchebag.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The difference between smoking and other bad habits/lifestyle choices/whatever is pretty simple to me: Smoking is the only one where if you do it around me, it affects me. I'm not going to get second-hand fat or second-hand cholesterol if you eat a cheeseburger.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

My favorite tidbit from the Gawker article: the anchor in question is Ron Livingston's sister. Peter Gibbons!

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

You just knew this guy would be hunted down and strung up by his toenails. Prediction: He looses a ton of business, has to move out of town and eventually change his name. ;D

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Here is the difference between smoking and obesity. You can have two people, one of whom does not appear to be obese and another who does. The first person might have incredibly unhealthy eating habits, rarely exercise, have high blood pressure and clogged arteries. But they have a natural metabolism that runs like a Ferrari. The second person may be eating reasonably healthy, exercising several times a week, watching their vital signs and having regular checkups, yet will be obese. Which one is healthier?

On the other hand, smoking is always unhealthy.

Lets just admit the obvious: if you are going to tell a total stranger that they need to lose weight under the guise of "obesity is an epidemic!" you are a concern troll who is really saying, "I'm uncomfortable with how you look."

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Meh. I've got a personal injury case, I want an asshole on my side.

8. FWIW, from the anchor's Facebook page today:

"Hi everyone! Thank you so much for your comments and for continuing to talk about this very important issue. Your voices are being heard.

I would like to address a criticism that has popped up regarding my use of the term "bully" and whether the e-mail at the center of my editorial truly constitutes the label. Does it have to be done in public? Does it have to be a repeated act? It's a fair point and a good discussion.

I am not a bullying expert and would never want to be considered one. However – I am a mom and a journalist. If my child came home and told me she received that type of negative e-mail from someone at school, there’s no way I would wait for it to happen again. Should we wait to speak up until someone is utterly beaten down by repeated rants? Or should we take a stand the first time to say, “this is not okay.”

Call it bullying, out of line, mean – call it what you want. I won't accept it and I don't think you should have to either.

Jennifer"

9. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Hard to argue with that.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I don't understand. Is she anticipating being "utterly beaten down by repeated rants"?

Enough already. To me, it's completely inappropriate to use a broadcasting platform to reply to a private email. Respond privately or not at all, but to compare herself to bullied school children who have relatively NO platform to confront their antagonizers is absurd.

I wonder, during the 25 years Oprah was on the air, how many letters/emails did she receive calling her fat? A million? More?

11. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Firstly, I'm sensitive to the situation. One of my first posts on this site related to being very overweight. But I agree with 21. I'm having great difficulty trying to convince myself that almost everything this woman has done about it, including that Facebook note, has not been an overreaction. I get a nasty e-mail? If I reply, I reply to that person. I don't copy/bring my posse (i.e., the world). 21 said it better than I could, but I agree. The logical leap from "I don't have to take it" to "I'm going to make it an item on the news and continue to rail against it on Facebook" just isn't there for me, and I'm sure I've heard far worse than what was in that lawyer's e-mail.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I think this started with Livingston showing her husband the note. He, understandably, wants to defend her honor. So he calls the guy out on Facebook. The reaction from viewers is immediate, visceral and overwhelming.

Either Livingston or the news director have enough sense to figure out that this has serious potential. This issue provokes reactions and is exclusive to the station. It's a no brainer. But how do you handle it? It isn't a pure news story... so you do a special comment. It goes viral....

I'm also cynical enough to believe that Livingston sees this as insurance. She's obviously not dumb. Surely the station has wondered if they should replace Livingston as morning anchor with someone younger, cheaper and more nubile. But this story ensures that if Livingston is fired because of her looks, the station faces a possible PR disaster.

Draft saved Draft deleted