1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good way to bring up bullying or does this TV anchor make a story about them?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Oct 2, 2012.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Explain to me, please why it sets a bad example and what it has to do with how she does her job.

We fat guys are evil now? We are bad examples?

Pardon, I need a cheeseburger.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What if she smoked cigarettes on the air every day?

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I think this is an interesting discussion in terms of whether she overstepped her bounds.

Part of being in the media is having the ability to do something about injustice and someone suggesting she is somehow doing something wrong because she is overweight is not right.

But I know I am one of those folks who wants to see the bullies out down and honestly, I have to wonder how many jobs I have failed to get based -- at least partly -- on the fact that I am the "Round Mound of Rebound," as a former sports editor said.

I am not the pretty one.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Didn't Edward R. Murrow?

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Good for her.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Obesity is a public health crisis, probably the biggest public health crisis facing America today.

But, at the same time, don't talk about obesity.

What a mixed message.

I have very mixed feelings about calling people out for being overweight. We'd have little problem calling out someone for smoking. What exempts this? (And I'm genuinely receptive to distinctions.)

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

You get into an argument with someone overweight and the first obscene message is usually something like "You fat ....." I've yet to hear an argument where someone says "You smoking...."

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I thought the original was catty and mean.

I thought her response was fine. I just don't like the "You don't know me" line.

He didn't claim to know you, so why say that? It's not like she claimed a glandular condition or anything.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They are both losers.

Anyone who takes time out of their day to send a douchebag e-mail like that to a stranger is a loser.

And she definitely loses, by conflating it into a "look at me" moment -- or 4 minutes, plus national morning shows, to be more exact. She's overweight. He's a dick for sending an e-mail telling her she's overweight. Did it really require a TV editorial from her couched with a faux made up teaching moment around it?

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

The writer was a dick, and a bully, for sending this message. I mean, did he honestly send it hoping the anchor woman would read it and think to herself, "Yeah, I am pretty overweight. I guess I'll start exercising now. Thanks writer!" No, he sent it to rip on a fat woman. It was mean, and was a form of bullying.

But at the same time, I agree with others who said she's used this as her bully pulpit. A better response would have been to tell the guy "Thanks for the note..." the way we in the newspaper business do with all the idiot comments we get. Or even better still, simply delete it. My guess is that this message was the straw that broke the camel's back after what I'd imagine are years of fat jokes she's heard from viewers, and possibly others in her industry. Going on this little nationwide talk tour will only bring her more fat jokes, though certainly much praise as well. Frankly, I don't think this was the rigth way to handle it. Journalists can sometimes be the story, but they aren't supposed to set out to make themselves the story.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think Rusty kind of nailed it. This is probably one of many she's received, she got tired of it, and she responded with a scolding reproach on TV. The world's probably slightly better for it. Not even measurably better, but slightly enough.

It's troubling that you'd label both "losers" and put them under the same umbrella. One is just being cruel and picking on someone. That's deliberate intent and malice. The other is...defending herself. Maybe not in a way you like, or even I like. But the way you place two sentences together -- "She's overweight. He's a dick for sending an e-mail telling her she's overweight." -- suggests you're making those two things equal. Really? Being overweight is equal to making fun of someone? Fatness is that much of a character flaw to you that it matches up to deliberately hurting someone's feelings?

On some occasions - rare, admittedly - will I think someone's weight (whether it is obesity or anorexia, and both are a problem in our culture) genuinely reflects on their character. It's a cross to bear, a struggle for them, but goodness, what an easy target to pick on.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

She chose a life on TV. If she can't handle feedback from a dick viewer -- and among douchy e-mails a TV personality might get, that wasn't close to the douchiest thing I can imagine -- she picked the wrong profession.

She really was a loser with that editorial. She conflated something relatively minor and tried turned it into an editorial about "bullying"?

In my opinion, the whole bullying meme in this country has gone berserk. It's one thing when we are talking about little kids getting locked in lockers every day, or getting beaten up by actual bullies, but she is an adult. And she was "bullied" because her feelings got hurt by an e-mail from a stranger? Who doesn't get bullied, then? She put herself in the public spotlight. And that e-mail hardly harmed her. It was dickish, but hardly the nastiest thing ever sent to a reporter. She could have easily ignored it.

Is she a bully for using her bully pulpit -- TV time -- to castigate the guy? Or is it mitigated because the guy was a douche for sending the e-mail?

I just don't even know what the word means anymore. What I do know is that she really did lose with that editorial. It was a giant "look at me," wrapped in a faux teaching moment.

Draft saved Draft deleted