1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good time to invest in the markets?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Leo this would be a good time to invest in a shift key. I hear they are going cheap.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I work for a WellPoint sub. About a year ago, the stock was trading at (or close to) $90. It ended Friday at $37.89. I ended up selling my shares when they were in the 70s and have stayed away from the ESPP since. I'll probably jump back in later this year.

The market always recovers. The recovery will not be quick and it may not happen until later this year or in 2010, but it will recover. If you can exercise patience, you can do well.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Again, the gentle reminder:

If you'd bought in at the peak in '29 (in terms of buying the broad market average), it would have taken you close to
    thirty years to get back to even.

Yes, obviously, the broad general dynamic of the securities markets over the past couple of centuries has been upward.
    But at the very least, if you're past a "certain age", to be overaggressive in these times, especially with the overwhelming
    likelihood that there's much more bad news to come in this cycle, is insanity.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

As anyone who lives in California can tell you, the worst is clearly yet to come. I wouldn't touch stocks right now -- none of them...

With the exception of Toll Brothers. It's at about 19 now and when the next wave of foreclosures wash ashore, dumping thousands of $500K + houses built within the past 3 years on the market, it will wipe out any demand for Toll Brother's product (not that there's any now!). Short the stock to about $12 and you'll make a killing within the next 6 months.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Another example similar to your "bought in '29, took 30 years" analogy: If you were middle class in Tokyo and you bought at the bottom of the Japanese crash in the early 90s, you're just about now getting back above water.

If Japan can be flat-lined for 10 years, so can America.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

://www.tickerforum.org/cgi-ticker/akcs-www?post=76669&ref=patrick.net

According to this guy we're still years away from a good time to buy. He claims we're only at the point in this where the water recedes, the real tsunami hasn't yet hit. I don't know who or what to believe, but I've never heard as many smart people spouting scary shit as they are now.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Eggscellent.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

thanks for the tip, boom!

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bad news Leo...shift keys fell 780 percent today.

Draft saved Draft deleted